Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Does anyone here hunt elk in Wyoming?

Bukslayr

I am applying again this year and I should have enough preference points to draw this year hopefully. (Fingers crossed)

Just wondering how many IW members hunt out that way.

thanks

I'd love to, but can't afford the points.

A guy I work with goes out there quit a bit, every other year for cows. I think he said it took 14 points to draw a bull tag this year...probably more next year, right?

I have been applying for elk in SW Wy for the last 5 years. I was lucky enough to draw (3) LE muley tags in 01', 02' and 06'.It's nice they put the points into play a couple of years ago. You can check draw odds at the G&F website. I do know they jacked the tag fees up 18% in 08'. You have 2 pts?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: samuel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yeah i have-back in the 80s but i only took 5 cows,2 6x6 bulls,3 4x5,and a 9x8</div></div>

wow. thats pretty cool. got any pictures?

Went out this past year for the first time. It was great! If you have 2 preference points you should be a lock for a tag this year. I'm sure glad they went to a preference point system a couple of years ago.

For a special tag you can get a tag with just 1 point.

Good luck in the draw!

Buddy and I both have 2 points, thinking about going in 09. I have a friend that has been several times DIY and hoping he can give us help. Planning a general tag. Hope they get the wolves under control.

ya I have two points this year looking for a general tag because the odds are susposed be better than trying to draw for my unit.
(from what I hear anyway)

hey iowa1 nobody was trying 2 be funny u dick head-when youve been big game hunting as long as me 11 elk aint alot so maybe before u go being a smart ass stop and think

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: samuel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hey iowa1 nobody was trying 2 be funny u dick head-when youve been big game hunting as long as me 11 elk aint alot so maybe before u go being a smart ass stop and think </div></div> I don't know man with this coming from a guy who shot a 385 pound doe I find it hard to believe. I don't know of anyone who has shot a buck even that heavy or even close to that. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

i have thought about trying it, whats the cost for a group hunt?and if you get a group to go, where do you hunt? just wondering , dont want to spend mega buck`s. if i were to go , could i use my bow? never hunted out of iowa. sorry for all the questions, just reading some this post makes me want to take the plunge and give it a shot.

I have two points and building them right now.

Its 50 bucks for a point in Wyoming. You can apply for just a point if you like. Everything can be doen online so its easy to do.

They just raised their tag fees and im betting the regular tag odds will skyrocket due to the price difference in tags.

Non-resident Regular elk - $641; Special elk - $1,141.

Prefrence points are nice in that you can plan for a hunt and know about when you will draw a tag. The downside is theres so many people buying points once you draw a tag it may take forever for you to get another one due to building up again.

I hunted New Mexico with my 13 yr old son this year and it was incredible. What I like there is there is no points and everyone is on the same playing field when applying. It is like winning the lottery though when you do get a special tag. My son drew 1 of only a handful of youth muzzleoader tags in Unit 17 there and we will remember that hunt for the rest of our lives.

Top Bottom