Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

DOES IT MAKE ANY SENSE ??

moosehunter

PMA Member
I'll be out all next week with the muzzeloader. Does it make any sense to try and rattle. I know it is a little early in the rut, but there are some good battles going now. A friends boy was in his tree Tuesday the 8th and was watching two decent bucks fighting when a third (big) one jumped the fence and started fighting with both of the others. I always have in the back of my mind that I'm so careful to get into the woods and stand without being detected. Then once your there, you start banging racks together and to get everyones attention.
confused.gif

Good question so we dug into our archieves of articles and found this.......

EARLY PRE-RUT:
This time period would be from the time bow season begins here in Iowa on October 1st until approximately the end of the third week in October. A buck’s attitude in this time frame ranges from being sociable towards other bucks, with some still in small bachelor groups during the first and second weeks, to increasing aggressiveness during the third week as testosterone levels rise.

Rattling efforts should be limited to lightly tickling antler tips together in the first week to very light sparring in the second week to heavier sparring in the third week. Light sparring is simply locking your rattling antlers together lightly, pausing for one to two seconds, and then slowly, but softly, twisting them back and forth, this time pausing every three to four seconds. Heavier sparring is the same, but with more force. Grip the antlers more tightly and add some grinding motions after locking up before sparring. This simulates two bucks in a pushing match....

The rest of the article can be found on our Homepage under the Roger Hill photo call "Timing is Everything" by Tracy Templeton.

I prefer not to rattle or grunt unless I see a
shooter passing by and I can tell he's not going to present a shot. I'll try and turn him with the grunt call first and if that doesn't work I'll tick my horns. Several years ago I was bowhunting within sight of a buddy, when he rattled in a nice buck. The problem was the buck circled down wind of him and then bolted...my buddy never seen him, in fact, he didn't even know the buck was in the area. IMO, most bucks are going to circle around and wind "the fight" before just rushing in, if they do and wind you...the game gets a lot tougher. On the other hand, I know several successful hunters who rattle all the time and have taken some nice bucks this way. I guess it depend on what you are comfortable with. Hope this helps.

Good Luck
TB

Tine ticking will work as post above says but they are so bad for circling downwind to identify bucks involved that I try to back up to a lake or open flowage or cliff or wide river to stop them from circling.Or a shooter 50-75yds downwind can turn the tables on a buck sneaking in.I like to crash them and really make noise so I like the first two weeks of November.Use a big set of real ones with the browtines cut off and sealed so they keep that good loud dry sound.

woods

I guess I say you should try what ever you like. There are exceptions to every rule.

My preference is not to bring in anything I do not intend to shoot.

When I rattle it is limited to using large antlers and usually closer to Veterans day. Unless I visually see a nice buck I want try to bring in.

The main thing is have fun and be safe.

last night i shot a 5 pointer and it was fighting lightley with another lil buck and then they wouldn't stop so i could shoot him, so i whipped out the grunt call and did 3 light LIGHT grunts and that did the trick they were 60 yards out and they both came right under my stand Less than 5 yards probaly!!!

Top Bottom