does on your land

killer buck

i was wondering how people can shoot 15-20 does on your own land to help your doe to buck ratio. how do you get that many tags?

As a landowner you can get 5 tags and then you buy county quota antlerless tags (assuming your county has them) for the remainder. Otherwise you have to contact the depredation officer and see if you are eligible for that program.

You could always recruit other hunters as well, let them buy tags in return for access.

My PARTIAL SOLUTION to shooting more does is finding processor that does HUSH that is "HAPPY" to have me drop off 10 does at once OPPOSED to being all crabby and telling me "NO WAY" or making it look like he's doing my the greatest favor in the world (or the last place in Douds and Packwood that told me to cape them all OR check back with them in a week - when it was in the back of my truck and would be rotten).

One could easy otherwise spend $400 (just a guess) on tags FOR 20 DOES and say 20 Does a year X $70 a deer for processing (or 50-60 hours to do it yourself just to process them) = $1,800 just for tags and processing.

Making this process easier and less costly would greatly enhance my shooting a doe instead of "not tonight, too much of a hassle, I'll let this field of 20 does walk". Obviously I do other things like letting kids come out and KILL AWAY! Make this easier!

I haven't experienced Sligh1's problem. Our local Hush locker gave me his cell and home phone number. Plus, I have a list of people who will take a deer off my hands, just a call away.

I've had the same experience as JNRBRONC...I shot 8 different deer last year and all of them ended up in the HUSH program at the local locker or donated to family/friends in need. The HUSH program has given me the green light to shoot away.

Over 20 deer in a field isn't uncommone where I hunt and I plan on thinning them down again this year. The crimson talons are ready to shred flesh and spill blood.

Killerbuck, after October 1 you can buy as many as you want untill the county quotas are full. I have always felt welcome dropping my does at participating lockers. Check out this link and the links in that post to get yourself up to speed. Happy hunting!
County Quotas, and HUSH 2008

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The HUSH program has given me the green light to shoot away.
</div></div>

That's to bad about the lockers. I have to drive twenty miles to get to the locker but they are very good about taking them.

Skip Im with you on this one as i dealt with those problems also, same lockers. They dont participate in the HUSH anymore and it sucks. The closest HUSH locker is 40 miles away and I will be darned if im driving 80 miles round trip with gas the price as it is to give away a doe. I usually try to find people locally that want deer and cant go out and get one. They are usually more than happy to take them. I usually make a little list on who wants a deer or two, then fire away. If I run out of freezer space or people who want them they get the free pass. You guys with Lockers that are great to work with and close by are lucky.

I shot 5 does last year and everyone of 'em ended up in the freezer. We cut up and package our own. Saves a fortune but on the flip side you don't get any variety of stuff i.e. sausage, links, brats, salami, etc. We will eat just about all of it during the winter months and anything that is left over or sits in there for over a year we use as turtle bait.

We try to take 12 or more does but I do that with the help of several people who I trust to kill a few does early or late in the year.

The reason Douds and Packwood don't take Hush deer is because under the DNR HUSH rules they are FORCED to take everything that comes in. That means dealing with gutshot rotten deer that they would otherwise not accept. Douds is a small family operation that because of their quality work has all the business they can handle.

Why would they want piles of deer that they can't handle nor want to? Just want you to be aware that there are two sides to every story. They are (bar non) one of th best most trust worthy processors I have dealt with in my entire life.

I would also add that they don't have the manpower to skin that many deer, especially cold deer. They take unskinned deer brought in the same day killed, if left over night they ask you to skin the deer first...or go somewhere else.

It is hard for me to pay a pile of money for tags and then $4 a gallon for gas to haul them somewhere.

Letting a select few hunters help me control antlerless deer on my property is a much better option for me /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Although my farm is pretty close to Douds, I always bring my deer back with me and either do them myself or have them done at Ruzicka's in Solon. I have donated at least a couple of deer via HUSH at Ruzicka's with no problem. (I normally just give them straight to whoever I am giving them to, when I have enough in our freezer.)

This is my question...if you skin a deer to be taken to a place like Douds, how do you protect it from dirt, hair, etc, while it is being transported?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is my question...if you skin a deer to be taken to a place like Douds, how do you protect it from dirt, hair, etc, while it is being transported?
</div></div>

I always cape out/fully skin my own deer if it's a buck I want to mount. I just lay a big sheet of clean plastic in the back of the truck, put the deer on top, and then fold the plactic around it to keep debris off of the meat during transport.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AIRASSAULT</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is my question...if you skin a deer to be taken to a place like Douds, how do you protect it from dirt, hair, etc, while it is being transported?
</div></div>

I always cape out/fully skin my own deer if it's a buck I want to mount. I just lay a big sheet of clean plastic in the back of the truck, put the deer on top, and then fold the plactic around it to keep debris off of the meat during transport. </div></div>

I use one of these sleds, both to transport from the woods and to transport skinned deer to the locker.

It keeps blood and crud from getting all over the back of the truck and is a breeze to wash out to load a skinned deer in as well.

We carry the whole sled right in to the locker and he washes it out for us before we leave.

Easy as pie and slick a a whistle! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Sledding.jpg

Made this little ramp so one man can slide the whole thing into the truck without even "grunting" /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Slide.jpg

Dave I tend to give mine away as well...once our freezer is full, others will take them and I like the feeling of giving directly to someone I know /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Well I should have known that Paul would have the answer, with good pictures to boot. Nice doe in that sled!

It so happens that I have a sled just like that already, so I am set I guess.

Thanks for the info.

I use a sled like that too, but it doesn't fit in the trunk of my car. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JNRBRONC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a sled like that too, but it doesn't fit in the trunk of my car. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </div></div>

I could make you a deal on a big diesel sucking truck.... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

I start it up once and while and remember the "good ole days"....when dsl was a buck 30 a gallon... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

I've shown up to Douds with ONE deer at multiple times of the year and it was a big 'ol NEGATIVE every time, I am sure they are decent guys and trustworthy BUT they just simply will never get my business again. Packwood was by far one of the worst experiences I have had.
I went straight SOUTH to a little town called MILTON. The guy there took HUSH, allowed me to come anytime I wanted. It's just too far a drive from me as I'm north of Douds even. He was the nicest, most honest and highest quality processor I've met in a long time- bottom line- GREAT EXPERIENCE, I just wish it was closer and I could shoot 10 at one time (occasionally I'll shoot 5 with my bow in a day) and have them gone with one swoop or drive in the truck. Great discussion above!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbltree</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JNRBRONC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a sled like that too, but it doesn't fit in the trunk of my car. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </div></div>

I could make you a deal on a big diesel sucking truck.... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

I start it up once and while and remember the "good ole days"....when dsl was a buck 30 a gallon... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif </div></div>

Oh, I have a truck, just that the car gets 3X the gas mileage. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Don't need another fuel sucker, thank you. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh, I have a truck, just that the car gets 3X the gas mileage. </div></div>

Same here but my wife won't let me throw a dead deer in the back.. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Skip...I suspect that Douds just has all the work they can handle with long time customers of which I am one. They have never turned me away and they always welcome me.

I have heard good things about the place in Milton and there is several places in Bloomfield as well. It does stink to have to drive to timbuctoo to get a dang deer processed.

Not sure what the answer to that is? I used to cut up my own deer but heck...I'd rather be hunting! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Back