Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Dog owners - ticks

BJohnson

Asking for some input from longer-term dog owners than myself. My lab and I have been getting some shed time each weekend for the past 6 weeks. I just pulled a couple engorged ticks off him tonight that he must have picked up sometime over the past two weeks during this warm-up.

I had planned a trip to So. Iowa to shed hunt this weekend and was planning on taking Hunter with me. The even more dramatic warm-up this week along with the two ticks I removed tonight has me second guessing my trip (or at leasts whether I should take Hunter along). This property has a large amount of CRP and if I take Hunter he will spend considerable time in CRP. I was going to take my Polaris and scan most of the CRP from it. Even so, I can find the ticks on me a hell of a lot easier than I can on his satin black coat.

How concerned should I be abouting taking Hunter on this trip. ??

I guess im not sure what you are worried about. The dog will get ticks? I wouldnt worry about it. The ticks you initially miss will plump up in a couple days and you will be able to pull them off then. Wouldnt worry about it too much. Take the pooch:way:

Yes, my general question was concerning ticks on the pooch. I guess my assumption was that dogs have quite a natural immune resistance to the ticks but did not what to make an assumption that was irresponsible.

I have a tendency sometimes to overthink an issue and this was probably one of those instances. :thrwrck:

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Yes, my general question was concerning ticks on the pooch. I guess my assumption was that dogs have quite a natural immune resistance to the ticks but did not what to make an assumption that was irresponsible.

I have a tendency sometimes to overthink an issue and this was probably one of those instances. :thrwrck:

Better to be safe then sorry.:) Ive pulled tons of ticks off our dogs throughout my life and none of them were ever bothered by them.

You should get the monthly doses of Frontline. You just put it down their back every month, and any ticks that try to feed will die. I sometimes worry about my dogs getting the mange mites from the coyotes, but it will kill all ticks,fleas, mites and lice.

Put some hartz or frontline down on the back of your dog. That will help a ton. I will get the 80-100 lb box. Pretty cheap preventive care.

Yes, I bought some yesterday and am going to give him a dose before we head that direction on Sunday AM.

I'd put it on right away. You're supposed to keep him dry for like three days after application. Don't know if there's any ponds or creeks there, but something to consider.

Sent from my iPhone using IW

Frontline is an excellent choice, my lab is in the timber with me everytime I go and never has a tick. They may attached to her but then they quickly die and fall off.

Along with Frontline there are some really strong tick collars you can get from your Vet. I put one on when we hit the wood and will take it off and store it in a ziplock bag. Ticks are not just a nuisance but can transmit some really nasty diseases to you and your dog.

Along with Frontline there are some really strong tick collars you can get from your Vet. I put one on when we hit the wood and will take it off and store it in a ziplock bag. Ticks are not just a nuisance but can transmit some really nasty diseases to you and your dog.

We have already found 4 or 5 ticks this year and we haven't been out that much! I echo the Frontline thoughts, especially if you are going to be in southern Iowa. I live near Iowa City and I have never found a deer tick in this area, BUT we find them commonly on our farm in Davis County. I would be much more concerned about deer ticks on both people and pets in terms of disease spreading, etc, AND they are so small they can be pretty hard to find even when you are diligent to look for them. I don't know how anyone could find them all on a dog.

I am thinking about burning big chunks of my CRP this weekend just to kill ticks! That's how much I hate them!! (Well, I also have some other reasons to consider burning, BUT I do relish the thought of frying me some ticks!)

they also have a Lymes vaccine for dogs. I give my dog one every year. they are a pretty cheap form of added peace of mind. my vet is an outdoorsman and actually vaccinates himself with it every year as well. he wont vaccinate me though....stupid rules and regulations wont allow it ;)

they also have a Lymes vaccine for dogs. I give my dog one every year. they are a pretty cheap form of added peace of mind. my vet is an outdoorsman and actually vaccinates himself with it every year as well. he wont vaccinate me though....stupid rules and regulations wont allow it ;)

Yup, I recommend this as well! Frontline is great, but my lab gets the vaccine every year as well! I've pulled more ticks off of her than I can count. Good luck sheddin!

Yikes, that's really encouraging (NOT). I hate them damn things. I always take a thorough shower after I get back in during the spring-summer months. The dog will get one also once we get back into town Sunday night as the wife told me he is starting to development his own unique "smell" and due for a nice wash anyway.:)

Last edited:
You should get the monthly doses of Frontline. You just put it down their back every month, and any ticks that try to feed will die. I sometimes worry about my dogs getting the mange mites from the coyotes, but it will kill all ticks,fleas, mites and lice.

I have a purebred blue healer on the farm, I bought her in 1998 and she has had no fleas and just 2 ticks.
I agree with Joe - Frontline works very well.

mange mites

A friend of mines coon dog has mange mites. We think. Just wondering if you know how to treat this?

I would think the Frontline would kill the mange mites, since they are bloodsuckers, but he should call a vet. to see what will do it the fastest.

Trying to kill coyotes around my house, my problem is alway putting the coyote bait close enough to the house for a shot, but not where the dogs can get to it. After seeing the sorry look'in mangey coyotes that show up, I sure don't want my dogs rolling on it, then coming back in the house. So I am hopeing the Frontline will kill the mange mites as good as the ticks.

Ivomec pour on will get rid of mange. Made for cattle but we use it on coyote dogs and it takes care of it.

Top Bottom