Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Dogcatcher

caleb

I just picked up my new toy, I am freakin excited. It is a RATWORX M7 AR-15. It is all custom, built to order. I really liked the Rock River Arms coyote rifle, and this is basically it, except with a lot of upgrades. It has a stainless steel barrel chambered in .223 Rem that is duracoated black, M7 feedramps, two stage match trigger, Hogue overmolded pistol grip, Ace ARFX stock, and PWS flash suppressor/muzzle brake combo (which substantially reduces rearward recoil and almost completely eliminates muzzle rise after the shot). Was able to get it built for the same price as a RRA, but with the best customer service a guy could ask for 20 miles from my house. RATWORX stands for Research And Testing Works Inc and is located in Mt. Morris Il. They are a pretty small shop that specializes in building ARs in the new 6.8 SPC. They have built some awesome ones. Finished one a while back that regularly shot sub 3 in groups at 500 yards. Scary accurate. Just mounted an Itlldo scope on it today. As in it'll do for now, till I can save up some more scratch for some good glass. Aweful windy today, but I was shooting 3/4inch groups at 100 yards laying prone on a mat, no bipod. Cannot wait for a good day to see what it can do at 200 plus. I will keep you posted. Hope to kill my first yote with it on thursday morning.

dogcatcher.JPG

Sweet gun! I have a RRA predator pursuit rifle and I love it. They are surprisingly accurate and great for yotes. What ammo are you shooting out of it?

I was shooting Nosler B-tips with 24.2 grains of AA 2015 BR and a winchester primer out of remington brass. I also shot Black Hills with 50 grain V-max and couldn't tell the difference between the two. But it was only 100 yards, the difference will become more obvious as I stretch it out. Gonna try a few different handloads and see what it likes.

Thats is awesome! Can't wait to get something like that someday. If you don't mind me asking how much do they run? And do you know if they make a lefty?

Yep, That's what I'm looking for. I've been doing some snooping around on these figuring out what I want for my future purchase. That is one sweet looking black gun. Congrats on your new toy!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JETHRO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yep, That's what I'm looking for. I've been doing some snooping around on these figuring out what I want for my future purchase. That is one sweet looking black gun. Congrats on your new toy! </div></div>

Better hope we don't get a Democratic President or there may be no future purchasing. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif I know a guy who is selling the Bush Master AR's faster than he can get them in at Around $850 a pop. I'd love to have one or three but the wife thinks we need stuff like groceries, electricity, water, etc.... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I bought the RRA based on AJAdams advice and have been really pleased. Looks like you have a winner there. I have been considering buying an AK as a tractor gun just to have around and not be as concerned about banging up the good glass and rifle when not really hunting but would like something handy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skully</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JETHRO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yep, That's what I'm looking for. I've been doing some snooping around on these figuring out what I want for my future purchase. That is one sweet looking black gun. Congrats on your new toy! </div></div>

Better hope we don't get a Democratic President or there may be no future purchasing. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif I know a guy who is selling the Bush Master AR's faster than he can get them in at Around $850 a pop. I'd love to have one or three but the wife thinks we need stuff like groceries, electricity, water, etc.... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </div></div>

That's exactly why I have been looking.... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skully</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JETHRO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yep, That's what I'm looking for. I've been doing some snooping around on these figuring out what I want for my future purchase. That is one sweet looking black gun. Congrats on your new toy! </div></div>

Better hope we don't get a Democratic President or there may be no future purchasing. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif I know a guy who is selling the Bush Master AR's faster than he can get them in at Around $850 a pop. I'd love to have one or three but the wife thinks we need stuff like groceries, electricity, water, etc.... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </div></div>

expalin to her how good coyote stew is.. No need for groceries.

As far as the cost, it was $1200, no scope. Like I said, it was right in there with the RRA on cost. May seem really steep but I did the ciphering and came to a conclusion. I could have bought a cheaper one, like a surplus DPMS or TAC-STAR in an A2 configuration for around $700, then took off what I didn't want, bought the upgrades I wanted, then had to grind and fit and go through that hassle (because drop in parts very rarely drop in!), upgraded the trigger, barrel, etc, spent all the time doing it, and I may or may not end up with something that shoots well, a mismatched cobbled together hunk of metal. And the cost would be about the same or higher. The muzzle brake alone is a $120 option but well worth the cost. I know what my skills are and building a sub-moa AR-15 on my first try is not one of them. This was exactly what I wanted, built in two weeks. Would have been one week but they had to go to Vegas for the SHOT show. And you have to consider resale as well, not that I ever plan on getting rid of it, but I would feel more confident buying something built by a competant gunsmith rather than someones after work project put together in the basement. Think of the project truck ads you always see "Over $10,000 invested, asking $3,000". RATWORKS has their own recievers, built to their specs which is done to extreme tolerances. I don't know of anyone who builds a left-hand version. Maybe someone else might know of one. And as far as Bushmasters at $850, THAT is a bargain. Especially for any of the varmint platforms. I havn't seen any that cheap anywhere for new ones.

Top Bottom