Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Dogs and deer bones

kvschmid

I am trying to get motivated to head out to the garage and get started on my eighth and possibly final deer for the season. I often toss my Lab and GSP pieces of rib and flank meat as I go and they have yet to complain about it. In fact, they are more excited about heading out there than I am right now. I have been tempted to let them have a leg bone or some ribs too. The lab I'm sure would make short order of the ribs if given the chance. Does anyone share bones with their dogs? I would think that they would be good for them.

i dont know about deer bones, but the vet told my parents that my dog should be given bones off of the meat we eat because it keeps her mouth in good shape

When I was growing up I got a black lab. Used to feed her bones all the time till I started noticing she started loosing weight and wasn't eating very much. Took her to the vet and they eventually found out that a bone had gotten stuck in her intestines and had caused them to role up upon themselves. The vet described it being like you took off a long tube sock by rolling it down you leg. After a $300 surgery and my vet telling me this might no be a good practice, I've never given one to a dog again.
Maybe Shredder could give his thoughts on this.

Just like everything else, moderation is the key. Bones that the dog can't break off and swollow are better. I wouldn't give them ribs, try a hip.

I know a guy who gave his dog some deer ribs and it died of a perforated intestine. I'm sure there are tons of people who have gotten away with it, but why risk it.

I was just curious if you would be concerned about your dogs chasing deer while pheasant hunting afterwards or would they not put 2 and 2 together?

alot of my friends, including myself, feed our dogs deer shoulders, with leg still attached. Never had any medical problems or problems with them chasing deer. But now all my dog does is point deer
jester.gif
. No, really we have never had any problems with the shoulders and leg bones.

I have heard that they are fine as long as you do not cook them, if you cook them then they will become hard and end up splintering inside of the dog.

Nonetheless, I have treated several dogs this fall for gastrointestinal issues related to consupmtion of deer parts. It is a gamble. The time severe problems do occur, it is often fatal on the dog's part. Just food for thought.

I never give my lab bones, but he goes absolutley bonkers at skinning time when I give him scraps. Despite his affection for deer meat, he pays no attention whatsoever to deer walking nearby in the yard, so I wouldnt worry about that.
I did give him a boned out pheasant breast when he was younger and he shoved the whole thing in his mouth and bit down. It was a while later that I noticed that it was stuck in his jaws whole, and he was pretty happy to be rid of it when I pried it out. No more bones for that boy...

I feed my dogs the bones and am now wondering if it is a good idea.
frown.gif

I'm also wondering why they may cause problems and if thiese prolems are evidient in wild dogs (yotes, wolves)that I know consume most of an entire carcass.
confused.gif

somtimes my dog brings me a hip bone with some meat left on it, and we enjoy cleaning it up together....
jester.gif

just kidding
i would guess, the bigger the bone the safer it is to eat for the dogs,
if you monitor them while they eat on it, and take it away when they start breaking the bone apart, id be inclined to say go for it, but keep a close eye on them.....
that coyote and wolf question is a good one Kaare
id like to know the answer also

Thanks for the replies. I ended up just giving them scraps again. My wife would probably freak out anyway if she knew I was giving them bones. My concern here is for the lab, he practically inhales his food and if given a bone wouldn't give up on it until gone. I was thinking that maybe the ribs were small enough that after being chewed up they might be digested. If he got into breaking the leg bones I would take them away at that point. It doesn't seem right to throw all that away without giving them a shot at it and the extra calcium might be good for them.

As several have stated, being around the deer at home hasn't affected their bird hunting. The problem is the time spent deer hunting has reduced their time in the field each fall. If they were pups I would not be introducing deer until they were hot on birds and fully understood their responsibility afield.

Shredder - I take it you would not risk it?

Maybe Dr. Shredder can confirm or deny this, but I was told that bones weren't good for dogs because they were abrasive and wore down their teeth. Also, I stay away from giving my dogs raw meat since it isn't a part of their normal diet.

My lab loves to chew on some of the smaller sheds that I find. He makes short work of them and I even seen him swallow 1 to 2 inch pieces of them whole. Now you guys have me worried.

I have known some serious field trialers that have went out of their way to see that their dogs get raw meat on a very regular basis.

Ditto to what Shredder said. I know a lot of dogs eat them, but when your dog gets sick you'll regret feeding them to your dogs.
frown.gif

I stopped by the vet today and asked about the deer bones. He said that while he could not recommend bones be fed dogs due to the liability of fragmentation he did say that he gives his dogs bones all the time as it is good for their dental hygeine. When I explained the ribs versus leg bones he suggested staying away from the ribs as they would be more inclined to splintering. I am going to go ahead and give them the rear quarters tonight after boning them out. When the lab starts chompin bone into pieces it will be time to take it away.

Top Bottom