Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Dogs Revisited:

loneranger

Brothers and Sisters of the deer hunting fraternity. I do not have to have your imput. With the BIG issues of the day, this is not so important. I just need to let off a little steam and I know ,,here,,there are understanding ears. You may remember, last season my neighbors hounds were chasing rabbits and deer across my property. I called the husband. He said they were his wife's dogs. He'd tell her,,but not to expect much. So,, I took things into my own hands. Each time I heard the hounds after rabbits last winter I would go out and blast my shotgun over them. That seemed to work. Did not hear them,,only once all summer. Blasted at them again. Then, last week I was out moving a tree stand for next season and almost all of their dogs,, paraded by me, coming across one of my main bed areas. A Lab,Rotwieler,Dalmation,terrier,piskenese. I steamed,, ran after them. I wrote a civil letter to my neighbors,,not nasty at all. Telling them I hoped we could rectify this situation somehow. Thanking them for being good neighbors. I got a nasty letter back. Kinda shocked me, by the husband. He told me if I didn't like it, go buy a bigger piece of land,,,or just hunt mornings and evenings when the dogs weren't out, and anyway the deer don't mind the dogs, they have deer in their yard. Can you imagine,,trying to make me,,,the bad guy. Hunt around his dog's schedules! I could not believe it! He is supposedly a deer hunter too. Hunts on 200 acres he has permission to down the road. I have only 40. My only plan now is to bait the dogs over, and be waiting with my shotgun and unload it over all of them. Not hurt them mind you,,just put the scare into them. Is all I can do. Last yr I called the Supervisor of my county. He as much said he could care less. No leash law,,and saw no need for one. Again,,thanks for listening. No need to comment. I am not going to kill them. Not poison them. I wrote back a nother civil letter saying I hoped we could still be friends and would take matters into my own hands.

I have heard shotgun shells loaded with salt can do the trick. Puts a little sting in them ( I mean for the dogs ). Or find somebody to trap "coyotes" on your ground in the off season. I personally would not have your patience. They would have been gone after the first warning.

id smoke em and dump them into a hole....

if they are on your property, its your call what to do.!!!!

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif
but be quiet about it
/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Personally I vote for a snare trap, you can alert your "neighbors" to the fact you are trapping on your land, and for the safety of their dogs, should be kept off of YOUR property... (do so in writing and send it certified mail, keep a copy for your records) And when the neighbors ask about where their dogs are...just reply..."haven't seen them, I thought you had a change of heart and were keeping them on your property since I wrote you that nice letter"... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif Then start snaring away...if you get one of their dogs by accident, explain that had they been on their own property, and they were responsible pet owners, this would never had happened....what a horrible accident, blah blah...

Snares are nice and quiet...no yiping, no barking...

Please no hate mail, I am a dog lover, and own 3...actually they own me...2 Rotti's and a Pit...all living the life of luxury on my couch at the moment. Dibs on the Rotti skull if you get him!!

Frankie

Thanks for all the advice,,but at this point I am in too deep. The neighbors knows I have an issue with the dogs. If any don't show up,,the will suspect where they went or who sent them there. I still have to live next to these folks. They are next door. I want to be friends yet with them. Never know when you might need help. Best I can do is put a real scare into them with lead flying over their heads. Neighbors will no doubt hear that too..but hey, I can shoot on my land all I want. Really no solution,, until Leash Laws are enacted. I have writtn my reps about this. But with all the economic crisis about,,don't expect much either. In Mi where I hale from,,there were leash laws,,even where I lived,, way out in the sticks,,a poor county,,with 26% unemployment. The DNR up there frowned upon dogs chasing deer too. They would fine parties that owned the canines,,but all I have gotten so far from Couty Officials, is a yawn. Wapello Co, Supervisor as much told me,,he thought some people moved to the country so they could let their dogs run,,and that was alright with him!!! Amazing answer,,I thot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: loneranger</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I still have to live next to these folks. They are next door. I want to be friends yet with them. </div></div>

Good luck with that because they don't seem too friendly toward you considering your nice letter was rebuked with a nasty one and basically they don't care what you think or want. "Buy a bigger piece of land" isn't a reply from a pal. I know what you're saying though, an all out war is probably not advisable but if I had more than one hunt messed up, I think my temper would wander past the point of no return.

I would do like you did and make sure they know how you feel in written and verbal form..

Let them know that it is your property and that their dogs are tresspassing on your property and it needs to stop..

If after all these warnings and concerns are presented to them they fail to act, then.........the deer rifle and a good shovel would be out is all I am going to say!!!

Shoot Shovel and Shut up is always a option....free roaming dogs aren't good for anything. These people don't sound like "friends" if it was me I would tell them that the next time I see their dogs on my land that they will no longer have dogs.

the guy that lets me hunt his property had problems with the niegbors cattle constantly getting on his property and destroying trees and food plots, finally disgusted he went and painted bullseyes on them. He's not had a problem since.

Top Bottom