Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Done for "05"

KansasHeadHunter

Well, My “05” season came to a close Sunday evening.I hunted as hard this season as any.I might of missed 5 days total since oct 1st.I think I washed my camo more times this season due to the heat than I ever have. Had opportunites on probably 25 to 30 different bucks.I never did see a buck that got me over excited. Lots of nice ones for next year.Anyway, This buck caught me by total surprise. It came in right at dusk.I was hunting a scrape line on the edge of a big prairie. My stand is behind a large oak tree that has 4 or 5 scrapes below it.The only way a deer could come to these scrapes without me seeing them was to cut across the middle of the prairie and that’s exactly what he did. I had been watching a squirrel dropping acorns from the oak in front of me for about an hour. Right before dark I heard the leaves on the tree shaking and I thought it was the squirrel.I leaned down to see what it was and this buck was working a scrape less than 30 yrds away and I didn’t even know it. The oak in front of me is huge and the limbs go all the way to the ground which hides any deer directly in front of me . I could tell he was fairly tall with decent tine length.He worked the scrape for a couple minutes and then started my direction.He only had a few steps before he hit my 20 yrd shooting lane. I was drew back before he hit it. I grunted with my mouth and stopped him perfect.I held on him for a few second deciding whether or not to shoot. I touched the trigger and the arrow was on it’s way. Soon as I released I knew he was had. The hit was a little low but right behind the shoulder. He spun and ran right back through the srapes the way he had came.I only gave him about 15 min. because I was sure I heard him go down.It was a short blood trail. He only made it 60 yrds. He suffered some ground shrinkage.He has 11 points and grosses around 150.It has been fun even considering the hot early season.Now its time to focus on the wife and sons gun season on the first.
2098456538-R1-06-10A-med.JPG

Sounds like you had a season pretty similar to mine. Great buck. Congratulations. Good Luck to your wife and son.
grin.gif

Top Bottom