Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Don't leave yet and Double Down

Limb Chicken

Well Nebraska was good to us once again. I still can't emphasize the quality of great people over there. Wednesday morning we all jumped in the Chicken wagon and headed west. Before I left my house to pick up Weasel and Snacky I sent a text message to Weasel stating that he would need to bring an extra turkey fan for the second pretty boy. Well hammer down. About the little Amana exit I was going over what was in the back of the wagon. I kept going back to the turkey fans which I didn't remember loading from Weasels pile. "Hey, did you throw those turkey fans in here?" Silence. "No." I'm thinking ya right Mr. Funny guy, it may be early in the morning but don't try to start the games already. So, I keep truckin. Weasel looks at me and says "You gonna turn around or what?" Ha, Ha funny. So by Williamsburg he finally has me convinced he really has forgotten to bring them.

After that minor setback we finally got to our destination after old Snacky Smith wanted to stop at every place to eat on the way. We pulled in the parking lot of where we were going to hunt threw on the black sweatshirts and boots and headed to our spot. It was around 3 pm. Weather was crap, more suited for fall turkey hunting. Nothing really going on so we decide to head back to camp. Three of us balled up in a blind and putting things away and I look up and see hens coming around a brush pile. I tug on Weasel's sleeve, nothing. Tug on it harder and he looks at me like, one more time and you are getting the flipper to the throat. Finally, he looks up and realizes that there are birds everywhere. Bringing up the rear were two nice longbeards and after a few tense moments we have one doing the bicycle in the decoys. NICE, always nice to get one down the first afternoon.

DSC01374.JPG

Next day the weather did not cooperate once again. We had very little gobbling but the birds were around. Had 14 hens early and then it was off to sleep. I am doing my best impression of a 18 inch Sthil and here the ssssspit uummmmmm. Open one eye and there are seven long beards on a march to the decoys two of them running. It was Snacky's turn to shoot and he is a sleep, I do my best to quietly yell his name and I swear I yelled it 9 times and finally he came out of his nap (but he can't sleep in blinds). Well by this time the birds had enough and were walking away but still in range. No shots fired. NICE.

longbeards2.JPEG

We decided to stick it out until 5:30 to see if anything would come out again and sure enough about 5:20 Weasel looks out and says, longbeard 20 yards right here. My turn to shoot good at least we will get a bird today. I draw back try to anchor and realize I still have my hood up. No biggie right? It's 20 yards... Arrow malfunction right over the back. Let the laughing commence.

Swingandamiss2.JPEG

After getting back and watching the forecast there was new found optimism. Don't get me wrong I love being out there anytime but when you are shivering and the birds aren't talking it can get a little mind numbing. Friday morning was suppose to be perfect and it was, bright clear morning in one of our favorite spots where Snacky and I could redeem what self pride we had left... The morning began with walking under six toms who promptly left after ringing our ears in the early morning sunlight.

DSC01384.JPG

We still had two birds firing behind us but across a big barrier. Chances are good they saw us setting up as did the other six. Well, they decided to stay on the roost a while and gobble their fool heads off and finally dropped down to the ground. In during this time Weasel looked out and saw a longbeard strutting all the way across a huge bean field but was also on the wrong side of the river. He finally made it to the bank and disappeared. Figuring he was on his way over we sat and waited while we listened to Snacky devour two or three frozen rice crispy bars. Then the cluck behind the blind put us at full alert and soon this bird was around both blinds and doing the mean walk out in front of the blinds. Feathers but no bird.

snacky1.JPEG

By this time the two clowns across the river thought someone was gettin some lovin and thought they would come to check it out... Big mistake... I finally put the arrow in the right spot and Snacky cleaned up the mess. Double down. 7:30 am.

Limb1.JPEG

snacky2.JPEG

Snacky3.JPEG

Fun, fun, fun... It can all happen so fast. Another awesome trip. Thanks again to Southfork here on the site. The guy is golden. There is rough video for you to enjoy at the bottom.

DSC01389.JPG

DSC01398.JPG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Waddell Wannabe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's awesome! Great video. Last words are "F*ckin' A" classic, classic. </div></div> /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Nice job guys!

I look forward to the storys of your exploits every year, and you never dissapoint me. Congrats! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Now thats what I'm talkin' about! Stuff like that gets me all fired up! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Great Job!!! Sounds like fun--I thought ol'snacky looked a few pounds heavier when I saw him yesterday! That is a GREAT name for him!! Sleepy or Dopey might work also. I almost peed myself when Snacky said you guys had seven toms in the setup and were sleeping! What could have been the cause of the sleepiness?
Congrats!
Nathan

hoofline.gif

Great hunting adventure and good photo’s, congrats to all of you /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

hoofline.gif

Would you like more information about becoming an iowawhitetail PMA or Life Member? &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Details Here!&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;

Top Bottom