Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Don't Touch that Deer!

blake

Life Member
NEWS!

Conn. Couple to Hunter: 'Leave Without Your Dead Deer'

10/20/2009

A couple in Redding, Conn. refuses to let a hunter retrieve his buck after shooting it with an arrow and tracking it to the couple’s property nearby on Oct. 2.

Mike and Lynn Gorfinkle said the deer is lying about 40 yards from their back deck on Fire Hill Road.

The hunter knocked on the Gorfinkle’s door and asked permission to remove the deer from their property, but the Gorfinkle couple turned the hunter away.

"My husband told him to just go away, he couldn't have the deer," Lynn said. "We don't think he should benefit from his lack of judgment ... shooting that close to a suburban back yard. I will never go out there so casually again. It impairs the enjoyment of your own property when you feel you have to look over your shoulder or wear fluorescent orange or something. We wouldn't even have known he was hunting back there unless he'd come to the door."

"If someone's going to eat that deer, I want it to be natural predators," she continued. "Not some hunter."

The Gorfinkles have previously denied other hunters access from their driveway to a 270-acre tract of land off the Simpaug Turnpike where they believe the deer was shot. The couple said they’d heard gun shots come from the area before, and don’t like the idea of hunters near their home.

The couple was told the land is state-owned and hunting is allowed there.
Archery season began on Sept. 15 and runs through Jan. 31 on public lands. Unlike firearm hunters, bow hunters aren't required to stay a specific distance away from dwellings because arrows don't travel as far as bullets, The News Times reported.

Lynn, the CEO of Animal Rights Alliance in Redding, said she took photographs of the deer where it fell, flipped it over and took photographs to document the deer’s cause of death – a punctured lung.

"It was a crime scene, in my opinion, the minute that it was shot," she said.

"I've been here four years and have never heard of such a thing," Dennis Schain, DEP spokesman, said.

The DEP reports that the state's deer population has been rising for the past 50 years, and Fairfield County boasts the highest deer-density in the state at an average estimated 62 deer per square mile, with pockets of up to 100. This overabundance leads to more Lyme Disease, collisions with motor vehicles and overgrazing of native plants, according to the Fairfield County Municipal Deer Management Alliance, a consortium of 18 towns and cities, and The News Times.

Lynn does not know what she will do with the deer carcass. Underground burial, she said, is out of the question because the animal would require too large a hole, but one thing is certain, the hunter who shot it will not be allowed to retrieve the legally harvested deer since it found its way to Gorfinkle’s property.

"So it's in his best interest to keep his shots away from my land,” she said.

In Wisconsin you can have a Warden get involved to retrieve the animal but they can still refuse. Unreal. What a waste of good meat. Not to mention people not understanding our sport.

She might change her mind once is starts to get ripe! :eek: Too bad all of that meat is going to waste.

It is all about landowner rights and she has to right to tell anyone to stay off her land..

I think she is stupid to let the deer go to waste, but she does have the right and I agree with that.

It is the same here in ND...I have never heard of someone not giving permission, but you have the option as you should. Every landowner should be able to control all access on thier land, no matter the reason.

With all that said, she is still stupid.....I hope that thing reeks for months in her back yard!!!

If it was me, the deer would be gone the first night. I wouldn't even think twice about it. I would rather take a trespassing ticket then have the guilty conscience of letting a deer I shot go to waste on purpose.

If it was me, the deer would be gone the first night. I wouldn't even think twice about it. I would rather take a trespassing ticket then have the guilty conscience of letting a deer I shot go to waste on purpose.

Yes . . Sir

It is all about landowner rights and she has to right to tell anyone to stay off her land..

I think she is stupid to let the deer go to waste, but she does have the right and I agree with that.

It is the same here in ND...I have never heard of someone not giving permission, but you have the option as you should. Every landowner should be able to control all access on thier land, no matter the reason.

Can't say I agree with that. Maybe the law has its purpose, but if you legally shoot an animal on property you legally hunt, you should legally be able to retreive that animal. Are you supposed to be able to control where an animal runs to die?

If there weren't old bags out there like this then I would say a law like that would be fine. But clearly there are uneducated, inconsiderate, and unreasonable people like her. She should be banished to an island for idiots!

Can't say I agree with that. Maybe the law has its purpose, but if you legally shoot an animal on property you legally hunt, you should legally be able to retreive that animal. Are you supposed to be able to control where an animal runs to die?

If there weren't old bags out there like this then I would say a law like that would be fine. But clearly there are uneducated, inconsiderate, and unreasonable people like her. She should be banished to an island for idiots!

Yes I agree you should be able to retrieve your deer if it was legally shot, but that is a game law. We are talking about criminal law here.

In ND you have to right to go on land that is posted to retrieve game without a weapon, but that is game law. The landowner can still refuse access to you if they want to. Don't know why they would, but they can.

That is their property that they paid for and they can control it.

You are saying you can't control were an animal runs.....of course you can't, but that doesn't matter to the landowner. How is it their fault it ran on their land???? Its not, nor is it your fault, that is just were it decided to run.

What if you shot the deer and it ran into their house and went up stairs and died on their bed?? Do you think you should be able to just waltz into their house and retrieve that deer willy nilly???

I know that is an extreme example, but property is property!!

Don't get me wrong, I think she is in the wrong here, but there is no way anyone is going to tell me who can go on the property that I paid for with my hard earned money.

Of course I would let someone retrieve downed game from my land, but there is no way I would stand for a law that would prevent me from controlling my property.

What if you shot the deer and it ran into their house and went up stairs and died on their bed?? Do you think you should be able to just waltz into their house and retrieve that deer willy nilly???

:grin:

:moon:

I understand an owner should be able to control who steps foot on their land and I agree with that. But if I shoot an animal that runs into your yard I'm going to attempt to notify you that I'll be retrieving it, and then I'm going to retrieve it.

I like your extreme example :way:. No, acts that could be considered "willy nilly" are not okay, although they may be awfully tempting if a hott mistress lives there!

Anyways... I guess I'm not seeing where we went from a game law to a criminal law. Maybe I'm stupid, or maybe I just don't understand them as well as I thought. So you can legally go get the deer but an owner can still tell you no? Either I'm interpreting this the wrong way or there are some VERY large gray areas that need laced up...

Here's another extreme example, actually it's a hypothetical situation, only this one is at least plausible lol. An owner constantly has deer from a neighboring property dying on his land and is always willing to let the lucky hunters retrieve their harvests. One day, a hunter shoots the new world record typical and it dies on the neighbors land. The neighbor sees the deer go down on his land and notices that it has a world class rack. As always, the hunter knocks on the owners door to ask if it's okay for him to get the deer. This time, the owner tells him no and asks him to get off his property. He then retreives the buck and sells it to Bass Pro for a million dollars.

So since these laws contradict each other, this is indeed plausible, right?

Nacho, I think you're opinion may change the next time you harvest a whitetail and he jumps the fence onto the neighbors property. What if that nice 8 u recently shot died on the neighbors prop who wouldn't let you retrieve it?

That lady's dumb. I hope theres a good strong wind blowing the smell right to her house.
In Iowa you have the right to retrieve game on someone' property just as long as you don't take your gun/bow with you, correct?

Did anyone happen to read the article in the last issue of North American Whitetail about the couple (I believe from Virginia) hunting in Illinois who had a similar situation with a CPO. It was an interesting article. The woman shot a buck that crossed onto this CPO's land. When they approached him I guess he was quite arrogant and told them that if they gave him $500 that he and his wife would consider letting them on the land. When asked if the $500 woud allow them access he repeated that the $500 was for them to consider it, no guarantees.
The author of the article went to explain that he contacted the CPO before he wrote the article to get his side of the story and confirmed that he had a rather arrogant attitude and didn't really care if an article was written about it or not.
I guess according to the law the CPO didn't do anything illegal. He was well within his rights to do what he did. As far as ethics...???...???

Its extremely unfortunate that people (the couple) have this mentality about legally taken game and this ethical hunter lost his trophy; however, the attitude of "I'll take the trespassing ticket and go get my deer" is exactly what we, as hunters should NOT have. In no way am I agreeing with the lady's attitude, but trespassing is trespassing and look at how many other hunters out there disregard property owners' rights and get several tracts of great land removed from public access. I remember from my days of growing up and hunting in Iowa that you could set your firearm down and cross the fence to retrieve downed pheasants, etc. Out here in AZ, we have a really good "Hunter Access" program with several of the ranchers who have great deer and elk habitat/herds but I've seen some of those ranches closed because of unethical hunters not respecting the land owners' rights.

Top Bottom