Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Double-A PSE question

turtlshell

PMA Member
I looked at the Mossy Oak X and the Firestorm last night.

Why does the string sit so skewed from the idle wheel, and the one I looked at I swear the cam was angled slighty...well enough to notice by eye sight. Is that the way they're suppose to be or was this a boogered up bow?

I think the skewed string is on purpose because the Idler Wheel has a beveled edge to push the string to one side.

At any rate both PSE's were cranked down and listed as 70#, and there was a Browning Illusion that was 70# also cranked down.

The browning opened very easily and smoothly.
The Mossy Oak X opened a little harder than the Browning, but still felt normal.
The Firestorm, I didn't even get it opened all the way...I couldn't stand the way it felt. I swore up and down that the damn thing was set on 100lbs. I thought it would break if I did get it opened, not the most confident feeling. Is that normal for these bows? The riser is about as thick as a pencil...maybe that's why it was weird...I don't know.

On the lean, they may have been boogered bows! Depends on whether they had been tinkered with or not!! I actually shoot the Firestorm and my dad shoots the Mossy Oak. Both bows do have a tendency to snap into the valley, but not some much as you are talking.

Bows with very short ATA do pull tough in order to produce high speeds with the short distance. It is tough for me to say without looking directly at the bows.

But here may be an easier way to answer your question. They are not going to be making either of those models in 08. I love mine, but am looking forward to next week when the new line shows up. I still have a 60# of both bows in stock that I am clearancing out to make room as well! Both bows are extremely quiet and shoot very well. But PSE is turning about 80% of the line into the X-technology!

The illusion is a great bow and shoots very nice as well. The are going to make that bow again, and also are producing the "grand illusion"!

The illusion will draw easier because the ATA on that is over 2 inches longer than the Mossy oak and 4 inches longer than the firestorm!

Which bow was "as thick as a pencil"? You saying to small or too thin?

The mossy oak and Firestorm have very similar Riser designs, but the handles are VERY different. Mossy oak has a wood thick handle and the Firestorm has the PSE B.E.S.T. grip... Which Honestly I hated at first but afte about 50 shots absolutely love! It eliminates Tork! But it does feel strange at first!

Another reason the bow may have been tough to open is the mod and draw stop may have not been matching up! If I put a 30 in mod in nd have the draw stop at 28 you would be shocked at how hard that thing would be to pull and hold!

Okay, here is the answer in a nut shell. The large cam does rotate the string, so it will look off a little but not something SUPER noticeable. 99 % of people would never notice, so they could be blem bows or have been tickered with and knocked out of time.... Or dry fired if anyone can walk in and pull a bow back at that location!
There are a ton of reasons why the bow could have pulled hard, but none of my shooters seem to complain on theirs! Actually about 80% of people who have bought a bow from ushave actually choose 60 # bows with a different arrow set up and they are getting just as much speed(but that is for a different post)

And the riser, well it is long (very parallel limbs) But is very sturdy for holding and has little to no recoil! and the grip all depends onwhich bow you shoot. But I LOVE the new B.E.S.T. Grip!

Did that answer the questions for you?

Yes it did.

It must have been the feel of the BEST Grip on the firestorm that was awkward for me. I liked the feel of the Mossy Oak X.

To me, I could notice by eye that the cam's were not a true perpendicular to the cam-shaft(center pin) and where it connects to the limb. It had a noticeable lean.

I'm thinking that it was so hard to pull back because of the mod and draw stop...that seems to make sense.

Thanks for the reply.

No problem!!

P.S. That is 200 off the Firestorm and 100 off the mossy oak! Both pretty good buys! I bet if you made an offer you could probably get one for even less from them!! I know I have sold of alot of last years inventory the last week or so!!!!

I was handed a ROSS CR334 this spring, so I'm all setup for now...especially according to my budget.

I don't think I could justify having two bows right now, but this is definitely a "Note To Self" for next October. I can't wait to see if all the talk is lived up to with these "next generation" speed bows coming out from everyone this year.

Top Bottom