Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Double Bull Tactics

ZG

PMA Member
Finally scored myself a DB Blind (IP5) and was wondering how/where most of you set them up. The majority of the spots I turkey hunt the birds head out to open fields. Can I just set it up in the field or would I be better off setting it against the edge? Also, do you guys hunt with the windows open or shoot thru the netting?

I set mine up on the edge of a field. There's a couple reasons for this, first you need to tie the sides to a tree, branch or something so the wind does not blow it down if you leave it overnight. Second, if you lean branches up against the blind it really makes it blend in. I usually position the blind so I don't have to shoot through the netting. Make sure you don't open all the windows at one time, this way the turkeys don't see through the blind and see you. Good luck and make sure you take a chair, I use a chair that folds up and it fits in the same bag as the blind for easy carrying.

I'll set mine up on a field edge 90% of the time, usually tucking it back under some overhanging limbs. I use tent stakes on windy days, 4 on the corners and 2 with the strings on the sides, which I pull tight and shove in the ground a few feet from the blind. I also cut down a few leafy limbs/branches to stick in the ground a few feet in front of my blind.

I only use the netting on days where the skeeters are driving me crazy
smileys-wut.gif
cloud.gif
smileys-wut.gif

The less windows/ports you have open...the less light that will enter the blind. I usually try and set up with 2-3 ports to shoot out of. Make sure you set your blind up to face north, this will keep sunlight from entering your blind. Wear solid, dark clothing when hunting inside your blind, black is probably the best.

don't worry about making it blend in for turkey. if you want a chance at a yote brush it in. I open a couple of windows for viewing but not on opposite sides of the blind if they can see through and see movement you are done. When I get one coming in I close all windows but two - the two I hope to shoot out of. If the gobbler changes course I shut a window and open another. The tripod fold up chair is great. Recommend shooting from your knee. A black hooded sweatshirt works great. Usually stuff it in the blind and put it on once I am in it. Tent stakes are great to carry, but only use them in a windy situation. Don't leave mine out so I don't use the strings to tie to. Have used them to tie limbs for camo with. Great blinds good luck.

Top Bottom