Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Double cropping food plots

Farm boy

As the farmer in me always trying to be very efficient.
After wheat harvest I will leave standing wheat for the deer.
Bout this time of year they have most of it gone so I go and spread turnips in it just before a rain.

Attachments

• 71308.jpeg
    71308.jpeg
    456.2 KB · Views: 135
Good plan.

If you grow soybeans and don't mind running over a few rows, broadcast wheat or rye over the beans when the leaves start to yellow and you'll have a fine rye/wheat plot to help them through the winter as well as get some cover crop benefits in.

My tenant farmer plants me one acre of either soybeans or corn each year which I leave "standing" for the hunting season. I like to overseed this area with all my leftover seed that won't have a detrimental effect on the following year's crop. I tend to avoid cereal rye going into beans that will be corn the following year and any heavy reseeders (balansa clover). Otherwise most varieties are fair game.

We all see brassicas popping up in this photo. My guess is: most of folks I know are having trickle with moisture or brassica germination. See all the trash in that picture?!?! That’s MULCH that retains moisture & cools the soil. That’s a fantastic photo!!!

Top Bottom