Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Double Drop

BowHunt'nFool

Hey guys I wanted to get your oppinion on this matter. My fried shot this buck on Saturday the 13th, but he didnt get to take the deer home. Here is the story.....
My buddy was on stand and this buck came into him within 40yards. the deer was facing right at him slightly quartering to. The deer was just standing there. Well my buddy put his sight on the deers brisket and pulled the trigger. The deer then turned and ran back up the revine towards the drivers about 50 yards away from where the deer was standing. One of the drivers took one shot at him and the deer dropped. He hit him broadside in the vitals. Well after they looked at the deer my buddies shot would have killed the deer.The slug went in the right side of the deers brisket and exited behind the deers left shoulder. That would be a dead deer in my book. Well the other guy that shot the deer said it should be his because he is the one to put the deer down. Whos deer should it be??? The one who puts the first vital shot on it or the one who finishes it off when the deer was about to expire anyway. I would like to know if it says anything in the regulations about this or is it just someones oppinion who gets the deer? Well let me know what you guys think.
PS my buddy was the new guy in the group
408drop_2-med.jpg
408drop-med.jpg

This is my personal opinion only. If I was the second guy to shoot the deer I would without a second thought turn the deer over to your friend who sounds like he put a very lethal shot on the buck. In my thoughts he drew fisrt terminal blood and the deer is his. Again only MY personal opinion.
tongue.gif

Well how we do this is. If a person wounds a deer, that deer is theres whether it is a monster, scraper or a doe. If I shoot the hog and we can tell that i did hit it whether it was a kill shot as long as it slowed him down some so that we could kill it that would be my deer. But it does not carry over to the next day.
If the deer makes it to the next day and someone else kills it then it is there deer. Ask the guy if it was a doe and he finished it would he put his tag on it or give it to the guy that put the first and possible fatal shot on it.
This is something that we always go over before we head to the woods.
30570-chair.gif

First off, Nice Buck! Another year or two and WOW! This should'nt be an issue. Tell the dumb ass to give the buck back or post his number and I'll call him! Don't ever hunt with that stupid fool again!
wstupid.gif

Hunt on All4s

same here first fatal shot, gets it!! just like shed hunting first to see it gets it, or if you find a matching set, the guy who finds the first one gets em!! same thing actually happened to my friend, this year, he shot his best buck during first season, and the deer fell, and he was waiting for it to die, and one of the drivers ran up and shot it 5 yards away while it was dying and claimed it to be his, and kept it, sure gets to be a sticky situation for sure!!! hope it works out, for the best, for yah!!!
smile.gif

I see you edited out the POS that took the deer. Maybe you should let them know the worst part of the story. I would say but I wont but I think you should.

I would have to say that the guy who drew first fatal blood should have it. The other guy who put it down should not have even hesitated to give it to the rightful hunter who put that first slug in him. I put a slug into one of my brother-in-law's fatally wounded does this year and there was no question that it was his. Sounds like you shouldn't hunt with that person........everyone should know simple ethics.

I would say that by the second guy claiming him it pretty much give's you a character refrence of him.I have heard of this happening before and it ruin's hunting relationship's in a hurry.If I put the finishing shot on the buck and I new the first shot was lethal there's no doubt the buck would belong to your friend.The only way I would claim the deer with a clear concience would be if everyone else agreed that the first hit on him was non-lethal.Your hunting clan should reconsider this guy's stingy way's and decide if he is worthy of having him in there hunting group because if he hunted with me and my crew he would be gone or I would be gone.
Just my opinion,but what could this guy get out of finishing a deer that was already dead,I would not be able to tell the story with a clear concience.
confused.gif

First lethal shot. It sounds like there is no question the second guy shot a dead deer.

This is obviously not a group to hunt with. The rest of the party should have never supported this decision.

Find some other buddies.

Been down this road. I shot a really nice buck this year and put a double lung hit on him. Needless to say I didnt tip him over on the spot and he ran past another guy in our group and he shot him in the neck. Well when we walked up to the deer I told him I had all ready hit the deer and we should go look at the blood and see how lethal my hit was. After looking at the blood and the entrance and exit wounds on the deer, the kid who shot him after I did said "hes your deer man". I think that said alot for that guy. Get the second guy who shot that deer to read these posts and maybe reality will set in!!! I also helped shoot my brothers deer after it was all ready wounded and never even thought of claiming it. Any how good luck with your situation.

No doubt in my mind. It's shooter #1's buck. It's sad because if it were a small 6 this would not even have been brought up.

Last year my father and I were chasing a 9 pointer for about 4 hours. He finally drew first blood and about 10 minutes later I kicked him up in some swamp ground and put him down. This was no question between either of us whos deer this was. That is how it should always be if it is a fatal wound.

We had a similar situation happen this yearduring our shotgun hunt. One of the guys posting hit a buck in the rear spine and the deer basically sat down in the field. He was ready to finish it off but one of the other guys in our group that was also posting was direclty in the line of fire so he passed on the shot. Anyway, the buck basically crawled up the fill toward the other guy that was posting with his hindquarters dragging on the ground and the other guy posting finished him off. He claimed it has his even though the buck could barely crawl up the hill!

the first blood rule, if the first shot is (or will be) fatal.

2 similar instances:

1. a guy 'joined' (uninvited) our party when he found out we were persuing a nice buck. he wounded the buck in the leg, but the deer came thru the section to me, where i shot and killed him. the deer was mine.

2. this year, a hunting buddy wounded a buck and followed the blood to the next section we were going to run. i started thinking, what if i shoot the deer? based on the blood trail, i decided that if i would happen to kill the deer, i'd offer it to him. felt it was the right thing to do.

its going to happen if you party hunt, eventually. best to have rules with your group, because it isn't worth any hard feelings.

I would say that it belongs to shooter # 1. I would also venture to say if your friend wants to push the issue, call the local game warden and have him decide. A great question for Doug Clayton...(Blind Sow)
confused.gif

antlers can make even the best of friends the most bitter of enemies in just an instant...

my take on this situation is that if the first shot on the deer is going to be fatal and someone else drops the deer then it's the first guys deer. but if someone were to gut shoot a deer and then it runs by someone else and they drop it then it's the 2nd persons deer. very touchy subject on what you say is a "fatal shot" since guts can eventually kill.

a similar situation happened to deadeye and i last winter during late muzzleloader season. long story short a buck ran by him, he shot, it dropped and about 45 minutes or so later it walked by me and i shot it, it went 10 yards and dropped. he asked me if i wanted to tag it and i said yes, end of story. every time i look at that rack i think of how unselfish he was and how much i apperciated that. we still don't know exactly what happend with that deer as there was only 1 speck of blood from where he shot it to where i shot it and there were mystery holes in the hide but no matter, the buck is down and our friendship is still entact, which is worth more to me than any old deer rack.

thanks again deadeye, that was a great hunt!!

Allright now that I have some of your oppinions I will tell the rest of the story and you guys will just get sick, allright here we go...
My friend was new to this group, he usaully hunts with me and some other guys 2nd season but I had to go 1st this year because it was my wifes "30TH BIRTHDAY" so I went with another friend. Well my friend #1 went with his father in law and his group. He didnt know any of them. Well the guy who claims that this is his deer didnt even have a legal tag to hunt this deer. He had a Antlerless land owners tag and a late season muzzleloader tag. 1st of all they were on this guys brothers land. So basically this deer is POACHED. All the guys in this party said that my friend should just give him the deer or they wont be able to hunt there again. Well they went up to the guys brother house and told them the story and his brother wife said"well you know how you settle this dont you? Whos land were you on?" Thats BULL SHEEEET!!!
Later that afternoon they went to hang the deer in a barn and they took the deer out of the back of the truck to take picks. After that the guy loaded the deer up in his truck and wasnt seen the rest of the weekend.
The next day one of the guys told my friend that if that buck gets hung in the barn he will come back later that night and take it. My friend wants to call the DNR but dont want to ruin it for his father in law. My self I wouldnt care his father in law can hunt with us next year if he wants. We know this guys name and I have pics of this guy next to the deer with my friend but dont know if I should post them.
I was told also that this guy shot a big nine pointer 1st season shotgun. That deer was probably poached also.
Well if I think of anything else I will post it!! Thanks guys!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom