Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Double from a Double Bull

smokepole

I had decided that I was going to hunt some land near Des Moines that I had lined up instead of driving back to the Cedar Rapids area to hunt(where I always hunt). I went out last Friday to check it out. It ended up being a little over an hour away and I saw no sign of turkey. I slept in Saturday and called my dad Saturday night. He was excited as he had gone out and roosted a few birds and was ready to go Sunday morning. So, as crazy as this sounds, I set my alarm for 2:30 and made the trip back. I met him on our hunting property about 4:45 and told him that I was probably going to get divorced over it. Anyways we got to our spot and about 15 minutes later we had some gobbling about 50 yds behind us. Then a nice looking longbeard showed up about 75 yds in front of us and I called to him, but he was with some hen and followed them away. Lucky for us he didn't come as about 10 minutes later a hen came into the field from behind us. About the time she was in the field I could hear/feel the spit and drum right behind us. When I say right behing, I mean ten yards. Some enough there were two longbeards fanned out about 12 yds away. I said to my dad "on 3." We ended up with two great birds and a lifetime of memories. Mine: 22 lbs, 9.5" beard and .75" spurs. My dads: 18 lbs, 10" beard and 7/8" spurs.

Attachments

• 25552-Double.gif
    25552-Double.gif
    71.7 KB · Views: 7
Great story Smokepole! Congrats on the nice birds and sharing a hunt with your Dad.
beerchug.gif

That's what it's all about man, congrats and way to go!!
waytogo.gif

I love when you don't realize there's a bird close and all of a sudden you can feel the drumming sound. It usually scares the heck outta me but it's always worth it.
busted.gif

Smokepole;

Way to go! You never said what you guys used to take those birds. Judging by your name maybe a muzzle loader? What ever it was you two did a great job and did it together. Being a father I know how your Dad must feel. I managed to help my son to get a bird again this year and enjoyed it as much as getting my own.
waytogo.gif

i got my first bird out of my uncles double bull blind last sat. 24 pound 11 inch beard pretty good for my first turkey EVER!!!
2guns.gif

Top Bottom