Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Double Gone Bad

buck3

On the second day of first season me and good friend Zholk were settled into the blind by 5:30AM and by 6AM the birds were gobbling like mad. Zholk tagged out on Monday with a double so came along to video the hunt. We had 6 Jakes come into our set and at first I let them go since there were 6 other toms in the area but when they ran back in to Zholks turning bubba I made the decision to take the biggest one. I made a perfect shot and dropped within 20 yards. The other Jakes finally left the scene & we notice all the toms had crossed the gravel road and with a steep ditch they couldn't see us. We decided to move in close to the gravel road by the edge of the timber but to do so we would have to grab everything and make a mad dash then set up quickly and quietly. We made it happen then forgot to turn the bubba on and when Zholk slipped out to turn it on 2 toms came up on the road and he had to hide behind the bubba. Would of made a great story if I shot one with Zholk in the set LOL. Well they headed back across the road again so Zholk slipped back into the blind and all we needed was time and a little bit of luck. About 20 minutes later they all came up onto the road and was coming quickly to kick some Dek tail. Earlier that morning we had named the one large tom "PONYTAIL" because his beard looked like a ponytail. I had my mind focused on taking Ponytail and then he hung up so I pulled back on the lead bird but rushed the shot and ended up a touch to far back. We then waited a few minutes and went to look and found them all on the other side of the road. We made a BAD decision to chase him down and ended up loosing the blood trail. There was good blood on the road and in the grass he just need more time to expire. Live and learn It's taken me a week to post this as it was very frustrating but life goes on. Big thanks to Zholk for shooting the video's & another year of memories!!

https://youtu.be/NCqesiawxM0

https://youtu.be/w8wYx3-Nz7Q

Last edited:
That was a fun hunt forsure. We had to sit in the first spot till 12:00 before we got the chance to move without spooking the birds.

Top Bottom