Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Double the Number of Non_Res, Licenses:

loneranger

Just saw on the Channel 13, WHO News at noon, saying DNR was proposing to double the number of Non-Res, deer Licenses.

news.gif

<u>Check out the red highlighted statement towards the bottom of the page.</u>

DNR: Raise licenses for nonresidents to hunt, fish

A state agency wants to raise $1 million by increasing hunting and fishing license fees for out-of-staters, beginning this summer, but will not likely charge Iowans higher prices for two years.

The Iowa Department of Natural Resources recently scrapped a proposal to increase the fees Iowans pay to hunt and fish by 34 percent this year after Gov. Chet Culver and others said to hold off because of the weak economy. Lawmakers discouraged the DNR from trying to raise those fees next year, too.

“The feedback we have is that (next year) will not be a very good year to come forward with a license fee increase," said Ken Herring, conservation and recreation chief of the Iowa Department of Natural Resources.

Many hunting and fishing fees haven't been raised in six years or more, leaving the state trust fund that finances habitat renewal work and fish stocking insolvent, DNR director Richard Leopold said.

Leopold on Friday said the governor is pushing for a $4 million supplemental appropriation from the Legislature to cover current shortfalls in the trust fund. However, the department will face cutbacks in staff, fish-stocking and habitat work next year without cash from higher license fees or another source.

"That is the trade-off," said Leopold, who still hopes for higher fees even for Iowans next year.

Herring is appealing to key lawmakers to raise the fees for out-of-staters now, especially after lawmakers pushed to delay an increase for Iowans for a year or more.

He also asked them to consider allowing the department to raise all license fees on a more regular basis in the future to cover inflation, rather than being forced to ask for large increases every six to eight years.

department is also mulling increasing administrative fees for processing licenses with its online purchasing operation. He didn't say how much higher, but noted the agency is losing $500,000 a year on the system.

<span style="color: #CC0000">Also, the DNR wants lawmakers to allow the agency to issue 12,000 deer licenses to out-of-staters, double the current count.

Most surrounding states don't limit out-of-state hunters, seeing them as tourists, he said.

Many Iowa hunters have opposed such a move, which the DNR has requested for seven years. Leopold said DNR biologists - not state lawmakers - should set license fees and deer quotas, but he isn't optimistic legislators will give them the power.
Rep. Mike May, R-Spirit Lake, said recently that his home county of Dickinson and some other spots don't have as many deer. Letting out-of-staters hunt significantly more would be tough politically, he said.

"Doubling that is a very difficult undertaking and it might affect our deer," May said.

Rep. John Whitaker, D-Hillsboro, said the DNR plan also won't solve problems with access to land on which to hunt. Many acres now are preserves or are owned by farmers who won't let hunters on their ground.

Herring said concerns over out-of-state hunters taking prized bucks away from residents could be allayed by a system that uses license restrictions to spread out hunters, county by county. Currently, out-of-state licenses are spread among 10 Iowa zones, not counties.

"We could distribute the hunters in smaller zones, and across the seasons," Herring told lawmakers in the natural-resources committee meeting. "We have the deer. It's an issue we need to address, and it's not going away."

The added deer licenses for out-of-staters could bring in $2.5 million for the fish and wildlife account, which can't legally be used for other purposes.</span>

hoofline.gif

398ibalogo_1_.gif

PM
Ron Wyllie
Southwest Iowa IBA Area Representative
[email protected]

Not good fellas. Not good.

I wonder if they will ever realize that increasing non-resident tags really has no bearing on reducing the deer herd.

What can a person even say to something like this? I'm disappointed in the stance of the DNR. I used to think it was the legislators we had to worry about, now I'm not so sure. Guess I'm getting an education here.

If 18000 thousand non-resident apply and we only have 6000 avaliable we need to raise the price......Econ 101

The bottom line is not about the population, it's about the money. If they sell twice the amount of licenses, they make twice the amount of money.

I've got a solution; Let's just double the price of tags instead of doubling the amount of non-residents! That way, the DNR still gets the same amount of money. I guarantee we will still sell all 6,000 tags.

They knew the rules before they bought ground here, and now expect to come in here and change them for their benefit! Pathetic....

As much as I hate to say it there are certain truths that are becoming more evident. If you let the goverment take care of things eventually they will ruin it. I have already come to grasp with the fact the days of good hunting are numbered. I only hope that my son will get to experience what it is like before it becomes too much of a priveledge for the average person to enjoy. I only hope that IBA can do enough (and I do realize that means me and all of you) to make sure that the voices of the Iowa Bowhunter are louder and truer then the financially inspired theories of today's legislators. This junk just seems to keep coming and coming. Are we just that crazy for thinking we can stop this stuff? I hope not. Just makes you shake your head sometimes.

Double the NR fee?? Yikes. Its already $350. The highest NR fee I know of is Co at $450 but hey supply and demand does rule and reality is that I'd probably pay whatever increases though to some point. There are other states to go to but only IA has it all as far as genetics, food, and low hunter pressure. I hope it stays that way. I am definately not in favor of the increased number of licenses.

Why don't they increase fines to those who can not obey the laws to increase revenue. If they increase the NR fee of the existing 6000 NR draw by $150 thats another $900K to the state.

Best of luck in your efforts fellows as I am hoping you succeed. By far the best way to handle this is to let them know that if they will not represent your interests than you will vote for the one that does.

I agree PATHETIC is a good word to use. It's all a money thing. How very sad. At least make the non-residents shoot a couple of does before being able to get a buck tag. Because honestly how much does it help for non-residents to come here and head hunt, get there one buck and go home? That does nothing for the numbers. I wish we had more say than we do.

hoofline.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blake</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Also, the DNR wants lawmakers to allow the agency to issue 12,000 deer licenses to out-of-staters, double the current count.
</div></div>

This is really what it’s all about, doubling the number of nonresident tags.

<span style="color: #CC0000">Send this guy and email, let him know how you feel!</span>
[email protected]

hoofline.gif

398ibalogo_1_.gif

PM
Ron Wyllie
Southwest Iowa IBA Area Representative
[email protected]

I have to say guys that I am a NR land owner. I bought the land knowing that I couldn't hunt every year. It is a privlage to hunt such good land. I enjoy just coming and admiring the deer. Normally we have one or two people with a tag every year, so I still can come and at least video. Dbling the tags would suck. I don't want everyone and their grandma coming and shooting the big bucks. I would love to get a tag every year, but realiscally I would rather wait my turn. Like I said, I know it before I bought it. So here you have it....a NR that thinks this would be stupid also..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LandBarron</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have to say guys that I am a NR land owner. I bought the land knowing that I couldn't hunt every year. It is a privlage to hunt such good land. I enjoy just coming and admiring the deer. Normally we have one or two people with a tag every year, so I still can come and at least video. Dbling the tags would suck. I don't want everyone and their grandma coming and shooting the big bucks. I would love to get a tag every year, but realiscally I would rather wait my turn. Like I said, I know it before I bought it. So here you have it....a NR that thinks this would be stupid also.. </div></div>

Nice to see your common sense, rational view of the big picture. Now if we could only get our DNR to agree.

That is insane, in Kansas the lawmakers, not the KDWP, are the problem, I can't believe your dept. head can be so short-sighted. If they've been trying to do this for seven years, the recent difficult econonic times cannot be the excuse. Good luck fellas, you're gonna need it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LandBarron</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have to say guys that I am a NR land owner. I bought the land knowing that I couldn't hunt every year. It is a privlage to hunt such good land. I enjoy just coming and admiring the deer. Normally we have one or two people with a tag every year, so I still can come and at least video. Dbling the tags would suck. I don't want everyone and their grandma coming and shooting the big bucks. I would love to get a tag every year, but realiscally I would rather wait my turn. Like I said, I know it before I bought it. So here you have it....a NR that thinks this would be stupid also.. </div></div>

That is awesome LandBarron. I like the integrity of someone that knows what the rules were from the begining and has no problem playing by them. If you have time maybe you should shoot an email over to Mr. Leopold letting him know that there are NR landowners out there like you.... My hats off to you.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THA4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">email sent </div></div>

Me to!

As a Non Res. I hunt Iowa for the great deer,friendships and low hunting pressure. If the state continues in the direction it's going, they might get some quick money but once the hunting pressure doubles & the deer quality goes down hill then the NR will go somewhere else and the state will lose even greater money. Iowa needs to take care of what it has and stop thinking of the quick money. There enough tags for us NRs, I would rather hunt once in a while after good deer than all the time after smaller deer. That's why I hunt Iowa....

I think what upsets me the most is that people complain about not wanting them to increase the nonresident tags but then threw a fit and refused to pay higher resident license fees. I mean you can't have it both ways, the DNR is desperate for money and if they can't get it from the residents then they're going to get it from the nonresidents in the form of higher license quotas.

I for one would be happy to pay more for my tags if it protects residents from facing all the problems that other states have that open their doors wide open to nonresidents. Heck, I'd pay double what I pay now and still consider it the best value in entertainment I know.

You want to help ease the pressure on this issue then stop trying to keep resident hunting and fishing fees at 1980's prices, pony up the money that the DNR needs and enjoy the best deer hunting in the country. If you were one of the ones who made a stink about higher fees then consider yourself one of the ones who helped push this legislation to the forefront. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OS Hunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As a Non Res. I hunt Iowa for the great deer,friendships and low hunting pressure. If the state continues in the direction it's going, they might get some quick money but once the hunting pressure doubles & the deer quality goes down hill then the NR will go somewhere else and the state will lose even greater money. Iowa needs to take care of what it has and stop thinking of the quick money. There enough tags for us NRs, I would rather hunt once in a while after good deer than all the time after smaller deer. That's why I hunt Iowa.... </div></div>

Completely my NR's viewpoint too

The incentive in Iowa for NR is the low hunting pressure. I can hunt big deer in KS, IL, WI, Western KY and in most of the other midwest states however the hunting pressure is a deterant. I am not poor, but have limited funds and it is more than worth my efforts and time to save my limited funds to come to Iowa every other year or 3rd year for the quality deer hunting.

If Iowa becomes like the rest of the states, than this Georia guy won't be driving past W. Ky, S. IL, Mo, Ks, OH, and IN to get to Iowa. It won't happen. I want to hunt Iowa because thier is no other state like it.

Top Bottom