Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Dove Hunting

jboswell

I am planning to take my son out dove hunting for the opener on September 1st, however, I don't know a darn thing about hunting doves :eek:

So, I am asking for any tips or tricks you guys and gals have to help us bag a few doves. I have a set of dove decoys, some non-toxic shot (#7) and a camel bak ... cause its gonna be hot. We have several public hunting areas close that have sunflower patches planted for doves but I am not sure how to hunt them.

Help :D

Get to an early morning feeding area, hide in whatever cover you can find, and get ready. Oh, and bring plenty of shells :D

NWBuck

Bring a bucket or bag chair. You can wear camo or dark colored clothes, wear very light clothing it will be hot. I also bring a cooler with drinks and some plastic bags to pick up shells and put the birds in. Bug spray will probably help. Maybe some clear shooting glasses if your concerned about low shots. Not saying it will happen but sure could save you some trouble if it was to happen.

I would recommend going out on Sat afternoon and taking a quick walk out to the sunflowers. If you see LOTS of doves busting up and flying away then your in business for Sunday morning. Usually the DNR mows little bump outs in the sunflowers and you basically sit in those and get ready for great times. They will more then likely get shot off the field fast so enjoy it for the short time that they are hitting the field. Make sure your out right at sunrise and they will start bombing into the field.

I have also realized it is a very social sport. You don't need to sit and be SUPER still or really quiet. Sometimes when I would go on week days alone I could have really used 3 or 4 other people. I would shoot on one end of the field and all the doves would land about 60 yards down so I'd have to get up and move. When you have a lot of hunters it keeps them bouncing around.

You don't need a mojo dove decoy but I feel they can help when the doves sit in the trees around you scouting down on the plot. I think it makes them decide to come in a little more quickly. You'll also probably have a sore neck from spinning your head around all day but it's awesome. Don't waste your time on calls. Maybe invest in the decoy if you have the spare change but by no means do you "need" it to enjoy the hunt.

I even was told once that you can stake out a bunch of white baloons blown up to about dove size and with a breeze that will work. I tried it a couple times and that got old fast messing with them. I think it did work some what but like I said a waste of time in my opinion.

The basics and I know this is turning into a rant are: SCOUT and SCOUT again. Get to the field just before sunrise, bring a comfortable chair or bucket, lots of shells, cold drinks, and if it might be a problem maybe some ear protection for the little ones. Also don't forget to register for doves if you haven't, and put a plug in the gun. Non-toxic shot is not required unless your hunting an area designated non-toxic shot only. I run the cheap clay loads from Wal-Mart and buy them in the 100 round packs for about $28. I also would recomend cleaning in the woods (using common sense not to make a visible mess in the parking lot) and not at home. They have a TON of fluffy feathers.

It's a great time and when my kids get old enough I'm sure they will love it. They ARE much harder to hit then you would imagine also.

Thanks for the advice guys! Much appreciated! We will check out the fields this week sometime and also try to get out and find a couple of the morning areas on gravel roads around the farm as a backup if the food plots are too busy.

Well, thanks guys, we had a great time!

We setup on a public land food plot Sunday morning, had about 9 or 10 extended family members with us and had a ball. I missed a bunch but we did manage to fill our limit. My son had a blast retrieving birds for me and others!

Went out the next morning and the action was slower but still managed to get our 15 doves between the morning and afternoon hunts.

Then the best part, eating... we swapped recipes with a couple guys in the food plot Sunday morning. My parents came over for supper last night and we made jalapeno, cream cheese, dove nuggets wrapped in bacon for appetizer served with venison brats and garden fresh green beans ... delicious.

Awesome. Looks like you've been doing it since they first opened the dove season in Iowa.

On my dove recipe I do just like you but I use top the tater and a sliver of sharp cheddar. Either way anything wrapped in bacon is awesome unless your a heart surgeon.

Did you pick up on anything useful for someone else going out for a first time? Always curious to hear other hunters results and thoughts on strategy, especially when it comes to such a new game to hunt?

Awesome. Looks like you've been doing it since they first opened the dove season in Iowa.

On my dove recipe I do just like you but I use top the tater and a sliver of sharp cheddar. Either way anything wrapped in bacon is awesome unless your a heart surgeon.

Did you pick up on anything useful for someone else going out for a first time? Always curious to hear other hunters results and thoughts on strategy, especially when it comes to such a new game to hunt?

I learned to hold off until they are within 35 yards or less and lead the heck out of them! The robo dove seems to work pretty good, had several groups come right into him. We have been scouting the fields that are getting chopped and have gained permission on a couple new places to try this coming weekend. What a great way to kill time before youth deer season & bow season!

Tried it myself for the first time this weekend. In the morning, I was 3-24 with my 12 gauge 870. Switched to the 16 gauge Ithaca 37 in the afternoon and went 5-23. The old Featherlight helped me get on em quicker.

We cooked 'em up just like yours and I've got to say, it's the best wild game bird I've eaten. Worth the work and missed shots.

316-doves.jpg

Tried it myself for the first time this weekend. In the morning, I was 3-24 with my 12 gauge 870. Switched to the 16 gauge Ithaca 37 in the afternoon and went 5-23. The old Featherlight helped me get on em quicker.

We cooked 'em up just like yours and I've got to say, it's the best wild game bird I've eaten. Worth the work and missed shots.

316-doves.jpg

lookin good :way:

Top Bottom