Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Doves and coyotes

Went out today to scout some dove plots. While driving I saw a black squirrel and thought that was pretty neat. 50 yards from the parking lot on state ground I had a coyote paralleling me and I couldn't get stopped and ready to get a shot off in the hay field. I carried the AR with me in case I saw it again. No dice on that but did see a dozen doves.

Drove to a new unit of state ground and spotted some sunflowers a ways off. I figured I should bring the rifle again, but figured it was extra weight and wishful thinking. I walked down the path and as soon as I cleared the corn I spotted this yote mousing about 60 yards away. Thought for sure he spotted me wearing a red shirt. I backed out and sprinted to and back from the car. The last 20 yards I walked back to calm my breathing. Came through the corn and he was standing perfectly broadside. Squeezed off the first round and heard the thump.

He was hauling the mail with his tail between his legs. Tried a second round to anchor him and he kept trucking. Went over a terrace and disappeared. Checked for blood and he didn't go more that 50 yards. One less fawn muncher and this ARs first blood. Good day dove scouting. May have to throw in some buck shot or slugs considering I spotted 2 in one morning.

PHP:

Last edited:
I don't know what it was about today but I'm about to have a new summertime hobby of sitting over fresh mowed hay waiting to punch some coyotes ticket. Try and try to call them in and come across 2 when I'm not even looking for them. Had I been better prepared I would of had 2. Just happened to have the AR in the car. Wish I had my .308 and ready for them but I'll take one dead coyote any day. Ears are still ringing.

Nice! I had a similar experience a couple years ago. Went in to check some cameras in August-September-ish, and jumped a litter of about 5 or six pups from behind a couple hay bales. Decided since I wasn't too far from the house I would go back to get the 30-30 just in case I would see more. Came back within about 10 minutes and jumped them out from behind the same bales! Got a shot at one as it ran into some corn, but didn't get it. Went on and checked my cameras after that, and then came back by those same bales on the way out and jumped them again! They must have got quicker each time cuz I didn't even get a chance to get the gun up the last time before they were out of sight. Wish I would've had time to just sit down there and wait for them to come back!

Top Bottom