Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Drag Rags?

ricksgsp

So this is my second year living in Iowa and hunting whitetails. I have heard many people talk about using drag rags while going to their stands. One thing I don't hear them talking about is how much doe pee they are putting on their rag. So the questions are; How much is to much? And how far away from your tree do you start dragging it?

I will be using a drag rag starting tomorrow til I'm done. :) Really depends on your hunting area and what you are walking thru to get to your stand. Some of my sets I have to cross a creek so I use it after that and the rest of the way in. (200 yards or so) Others, where I'm walking across open fields I'll drag it right when I start out all the way to my stand. I like to freshen it up on long walks also. When I get to my stand I hang it on a branch upwind at a spot I want the buck to stop for a shot. When I'm done I put it in a zip lock baggie til the next use. Good luck. Like anything one time it works and the next time it doesn't... but its pretty cool when it does.

IMO you don't want it as a cover scent. Do everything you can to keep it off your clothes and body. You don't want the deer looking up at you in the tree when they come in. :way:

I meant I've heard guys just dragging it behind them to cover their scent from walking in not as cover scent all over themselves :moon:

I usually stick mine in so about a half an inch of it has scent on it, I don't think it takes much. I usually break it out when I'm about 100 yards from the stand and dip it one more times about half way. Make sure to drag it so that if a buck has his nose to it he will turn broadside, instead of coming straight at you. I didn't think it mattered in my younger days and just left it at the bottom of my tree and guess where the buck went? Right to the bottom of my tree and then he looked straight up at me. Luckily he was only a little guy so I wasn't kicking myself too much. That's how we learn. I have come to really like the Buck Bomb aerosol spray, I don't need a drag I just spray a little bit on leave and branches as I walk along and it works awesome.

They will work! Just remember to freshen it along the way!!They will follow it the wrong way!! If the scent lessons , They will go to the strongest scent!! :way:

I havent bought scent for years. I always approach my stands from down wind when possible but when I couldn't do that I would use a drag rag. I can't honestly say that it helped or hurt. There were times that deer completely ignored the trail and others that they seemed to pay attention to it. Eitherway, my approaches to my stands are downwind now and where I don't want the deer to be so I have copmpletely quit using them. If I had to approach from an area that is not down wind I would probably try it again but I don't want to contaminate the area with my scent if it isn't necessary. :confused:

Top Bottom