Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Drama

I will say this, I haven't been a member for long, but even though there is a bad thread or poster from time to time I feel more comfortable on this forum and interacting with fellow Iowans and other outdoorsmen than any other forum I have been a member on.

My goal on here this year is to share more. I apologize for my lack of posts and content of late. I was super bummed after this deer season and I have been out shed hunting twice. I need to get better for ATL shots, but like many shed enthusiasts I pick it up so fast I forget all about taking a photo! I am also going to get more into predator hunting and would really like to see a sub-forum specifically for predator hunting. I will do my best to take photos of my current set up and any 'yotes I take throughout this year.

I really think in all honesty it would be neat to see a ranking or post count be put into place to post pictures or ads on the classified section.

Also, has any thought about planning specific "IW" events? Banquets, dinners, mount displays (sheds), etc.

I know a few members, but it would be great to get to know more people on a personal basis. When you can meet and interact with people I think it helps alleviate some of that "internet tough-guy issue".

I also wouldn't be against a mandatory post count to post things like pictures, etc or event comment in specific section like harvest threads, etc.

There are lots of pot shots and off the wall comments made by people with less than 75 posts.

My goal is not to turn people away, but get people on here who are truly invested into the site and the people who make this site great. If you can't post and make meaningful posts, do you really belong or should you be allowed to comment on my harvest thread or my shed thread?

Last edited:
I blame Obama! :D But really, I know a few guys who were big on this site that did get burned by posting pictures and I myself may have given away a little too much info and it cost me a bunch of headaches with a poacher and an outfitter from hell! It can happen and it's a shame it has to be that way. I still enjoy sharing on here and looking at others success, be it sheds, harvest stories or trapping. All of the high school drama and guys getting butt hurt over somebody shooting a doe or hunting from a heated blind need their own forum dedicated to deer hunting politics and whining. Hell instead of sending them an Ia Whitetail decal maybe they could send them some Ia Whitetail baby powder? :) I know there are some pressing issues right now that effect deer hunters but those problems vary from county to county. Some other guy's problem is not always my problem and I do get tired of watching the poor old dead horse get beat repeatedly. But like somebody in an earlier post stated, if its not a post that interests you just don't click on it I guess.

I've been on this site since the beginning. In the beginning it was a campfire gathering of "hunters". What has really kept me quiet for some time and the part that really leaves a bad taste in my mouth; is the elitist attitude that is so previlant anymore around hunting, ie; Bow hunters vs gun hunters. Gun hunters vs Muzzleloader hunters. Party hunting bashing, stands to close to neighbor fence. "That's MY deer" This message board and others like it, are just a bunch of complaining anymore. My 1/2 a pennies worth. Rant over

I really don't think the challenges that we face now are any different than they were back then. I can remember people stirring up trouble back when I first joined. The challenge, I think is that lives change with college graduations, different jobs, kids, grandkids, etc. Shredder, Ghost, Oldbuck, Timberpig and others have told me that is exactly why they can't frequent as much as they would like. Heck, I fall under the same catagory. I used to be glued to this place. Now I am lucky to check things out daily with a full time job and three kids (two teenagers). Life just gets busy. I too have wondered where the likes of Kat, M350 and many others have gone. I am happy though, that when we lose a great member for whatever reason, another seems to surface that adds to the site.

As for moderating the issues that arrise, it is a double edged sword. Shut something down and you are a hero to some and a dictator to others. Most of the time we have found that it is best to let most topics work themselves out. When the content becomes personal or makes IW a less family friendly place to be, then action can be taken. It seems that down times of the year we have more ornery people that stir up trouble. I think they are just bored.:confused:

As for sharing content, I'm guilty, mostly due to busy family life. I'll admit that I am more reluctant to post my sheds or target bucks in the general forum than I am in the PMA. You get to know people in the PMA and become much more trusting. Many PMA Members have become close friends over the years. I need to learn to share more.:eek:

I have tried to check out other sites but find this the best place to be, both for the quality of people, and the amazing amount of knowledge shared here. I still beleive that we have some of the best, most knowledgable hunters here on Iowawhitetail.com. If you doubt it, check out the scores of the top bucks in the PMA Big Buck Contest over the past 10 years. It is absolutely crazy! And Dbltree's Corner......... man are we blessed to have him, and in the general forum!!:way:

If you have ideas, complaints, or issues with anything that goes on here, send a PM to a Moderator or Adminstrator, it will be discussed and action taken when warranted.

There is still no where on the web that I would rather be than right here on IW.

I have been on this site for a long time, bought a used bow from the guy above me... Met a lot of you and know 99 percent of the guys that are registered are great guys. Its the lurkers or as mentioned, the guys with a limited number of posts asking where or what county you found a shed/trail cam/ etc etc can burn a person... I know first hand... and I was called out by Skully on another post... I try to post in helpful topics or discussions, but no longer try to post just shed pictures or trail cam photos unless I am in serious need of help identifying them... I do post a few, but not near the number I used to

I really don't think the challenges that we face now are any different than they were back then. I can remember people stirring up trouble back when I first joined. The challenge, I think is that lives change with college graduations, different jobs, kids, grandkids, etc. Shredder, Ghost, Oldbuck, Timberpig and others have told me that is exactly why they can't frequent as much as they would like. Heck, I fall under the same catagory. I used to be glued to this place. Now I am lucky to check things out daily with a full time job and three kids (two teenagers). Life just gets busy. I too have wondered where the likes of Kat, M350 and many others have gone. I am happy though, that when we lose a great member for whatever reason, another seems to surface that adds to the site.

As for moderating the issues that arrise, it is a double edged sword. Shut something down and you are a hero to some and a dictator to others. Most of the time we have found that it is best to let most topics work themselves out. When the content becomes personal or makes IW a less family friendly place to be, then action can be taken. It seems that down times of the year we have more ornery people that stir up trouble. I think they are just bored.:confused:

As for sharing content, I'm guilty, mostly due to busy family life. I'll admit that I am more reluctant to post my sheds or target bucks in the general forum than I am in the PMA. You get to know people in the PMA and become much more trusting. Many PMA Members have become close friends over the years. I need to learn to share more.:eek:

I have tried to check out other sites but find this the best place to be, both for the quality of people, and the amazing amount of knowledge shared here. I still beleive that we have some of the best, most knowledgable hunters here on Iowawhitetail.com. If you doubt it, check out the scores of the top bucks in the PMA Big Buck Contest over the past 10 years. It is absolutely crazy! And Dbltree's Corner......... man are we blessed to have him, and in the general forum!!:way:

If you have ideas, complaints, or issues with anything that goes on here, send a PM to a Moderator or Adminstrator, it will be discussed and action taken when warranted.

There is still no where on the web that I would rather be than right here on IW.

Well said, Wayne! This is still the BEST hunting forum on the planet. Thanks to all of the moderators/admins for doing what you do and giving us a place to stay sane in the offseason.

I agree very much with Bowman's post above. There are all kinds of reasons that people come and go from online websites and I don't know of one that is totally free from some friction and drama. I do not agree with those posts that indicate that the drama or friction is a new phenomenon. There have always been occasional skirmishes on this site and I think there always will be. People are people and posting mostly/sort of anonymously on a website is always going to give a format for some to get a little saucy with others. It comes and goes and the moderators here are good guys that do about the best job I think can be done in a situation like this.

As for me, I have been around in some form for probably 12+ years now and I too went through a phase where life raising a family, etc, was busy enough that I didn't post often. Now the kids are pretty much raised and spare time is easier to come by. Things run in cycles and this site is no different.

It is also true that we had the best string of deer hunting years ever over the past 10-12 years, so overall, things were good, they were really good actually. So there was more to celebrate and agree on, times were good. Now we are a definite downswing and there are going to be more conflicting points of view as we work our way through the issues with a fast declining deer herd, more restricted access to good hunting and other related issues.

Hang in there and be as much of a help as you can, things will swing back to the good sooner or later. And as far as that goes...when I first started deer hunting in the 70's it was not at all uncommon to go deer hunting and not see a deer in a given day or two. Yes, I am sure that part of it is that we stunk as deer hunters, but the point is there weren't as many then as there are now. While there certainly aren't as many deer today as there was in the last 3-15 years, it is also true that we have it better than what some of us old timers had when we were getting started.

Be good, enjoy yourselves here!

Could moderators suspend the people who are going over the top. Might settle it out faster

Yes, it can and does happen. One of those who recieved a very long term ban is mentioned in this thread. Read through and you will see that some actually want him back. Crazy how opinions differ.

When I moved to the supervisory side of things at work, I learned that there are many things handled out of the view of the public or membership. Rest assured that when something needs handled, it gets handled. You might not be aware of it when it does.;)

Now, let's get back to talkin' deer!:way:

Last edited:
I personally don't mind the debate threads as there is a lot to be learned from reading peoples opinions. It's just that you have to be reserved enough to sift through the piles of crap and comprehend the good. It may take some elbow length gloves, but the good stuff is still on here.

Im as guilty as the next about not sharing as much anymore, and I have my reasons... I also don't get involved with many of the debates anymore, simply because I don't have the time.

I have made hundreds of contacts from this site and have met some great guys who I truly believe are the cream of the crop when it comes to their approach to hunting. It's just that most of the info shared is through email or txt or phone, or private forums anymore.

IW is still the best site out there IMO.........

A lot of us that used to post a lot and share things, just have seen the wheel turn over and over and may not contribute as much anymore, due to the simple fact that views and opinions become redundant a lot of the time.

My time is better focused on writing our politicians and simply spending more time at what I love to do.......which is every aspect of being in Gods great creation and chasing the animals I absolutely love and respect.

It's good to see old and new names on here, and I look forward to seeing what new members contribute. Don't get too caught up in the debates, and if you don't like them or prefer to skirt the drama, then do so as you please, but don't let it get you down when you see people arguing or voicing different opinions. After all, that's what makes the world go round.

A few guys I miss seeing post are Ghost, Limb, Shredder, and that big buck slayer HighJumper, man that dude was a bucks worst nightmare

As far as the site goes it is pretty cyclic. Always a few pot stirrers but still great overall. I quit reading the rant posts and the NR hunting posts, people get to worked up about deer hunting. I love this sport and am passionate about it but there are a lot more important things in this world. Enjoy your time afield, time with family and be thankful for the great people you are surrounded with in the Midwest.

Kratz

Last edited:
"A few guys I miss seeing post are Ghost, Limb, Shredder, and that buck buck slayer HighJumper, man that dude was a bucks worst nightmare"

Man, ain't that the truth. That guy (Highjumper) was a big buck slayer for sure. Ghost's posts helped me learn a ton back in the early 2000's.

Thank you for all of the comments on this thread. I wasn't trying to run Iowawhitetail through the gutter by any means and hopefully those of you who know me realize what I was doing by posting this. It's plain to see that IW is - and always has been - one of the best hunting forums out there.

All I was really after was to remind people what a good thing we have going here. Lately I've just been frustrated by the number of negative/whiny/complaining-type posts. That part gets old, but like Troy said, "If it's not a post that interests you just don't click on it." On that note (& Wayne hinted at this) there are a lot of behind the scenes things that go on with regard to cutting out some of the over-the-top negative stuff on here. Without the moderators we wouldn't have much of a site to enjoy. Period. So thanks to all of you for the thankless time you put in.

Maybe most of all it's that I miss hearing from some of the guys who used to post a lot "back in the day." Admittedly, I don't even get a chance to look at everything on here but I try to keep up to speed when I can. After all, time doesn't slow down for anyone.

I look forward to what the future holds here. IW has done me a ton of good over the years, no doubt. I have learned more from you all than I ever thought possible. More importantly, I have met some amazing people through IW ... life-long friends who I'm thankful for every day.

At the end of the day, hopefully people didn't see this as me whining about the site because I'd be the first to tell myself, 'Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.' Here's to Iowawhitetail and to all those who make it what it is ... keep up the good work!

-Longspurs-

A few guys I miss seeing post are Ghost, Limb, Shredder, and that buck buck slayer HighJumper, man that dude was a bucks worst nightmare

As far as the site goes it is pretty cyclic. Always a few pot stirrers but still great overall. I quit reading the rant posts and the NR hunting posts, people get to worked up about deer hunting. I love this sport and am passionate about it but there are a lot more important things in this world. Enjoy your time afield, time with family and be thankful for the great people you are surrounded with in the Midwest.

Kratz

Man I can't believe I forgot about him. Highjumper definitely put a hurting on some serious bucks. I'm gonna have to go digging for some old threads.

Good morning! Just wanted to say that I really appreciate the effort that everyone puts into posting. I have been a member on this site for a while especially after iowa deer.com shut down. I don't post often and am going to make a better effort to do so in the future. Like many have said, there in other site like this. Thanks again!

Half the problem anymore is everyone is so greedy and wound up about killing giants every year that they have lost touch with what nature and the tradition of hunting really is. Its pretty sad its come to all this , I've put many deer on the wall myself in the past but I can handle not shooting another good one , I enjoy my time in the woods regardless. And that is all that truly matters. I've got way more respect for the old timer with his open sight side lock muzzle loader than any big city rich hunter with a hundred trail cams , "pet named" hit list bucks , and all the latest and greatest guns and gadgets money can buy , and I bet the simple old timer that does things the simple way sleeps better at night too !

Couldn't agree more! I am part of the upcoming young generation and I can already see how its changed since I was a little kid. People are greedy, negative, and mean-hearted anymore. I don't see why people cant stick to the true reason we enjoy the outdoors. Keep it simple, and don't get all whacked out of shape and caught up in being the best, the biggest, or whatever it is. Man, I'm tired of those types of hunters. They are ruining it for everyone else out there... even the people who don't hunt because they make us true folk look bad!

Top Bottom