Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Draw weight??

Nug

What is the minimum draw weight needed to kill a whitetail? 20 yard shot max...any help would be great.

Isn't there more to it than just draw weight? Don't you have to take into consideration arrow weight for KE too?

Good question. I'm sure somebody will have an answer. As usual it ain't me.

The 'Bonker

There may be more to it Bonks...I'm just wondering if my 10 year old son can pull enough weight to kill a deer????

Today's kids bows are much faster and more accurate then when I started and that was only 16 years ago. You'd be suprised how fast they shoot. Anyways to answer the question, I have seen plenty of deer shot with compounds in the 35 pound range. I have also seen complete pass throughs with 35 pounds. Granted the key is making the shot, but I shot my first deer with a bow when I was ten with an old pearson pulling about 43 pounds. That bow was slooooooww but it did the job on the big doe I shot. I would say go for it, and start shooting alot!!!

The DNR regs don't specify a minimum draw weight so it's up to each individual to decide. Personally, I'd like to see 40# minimum for any equipment I'd be associated with. I've seldom heard of any hunting bow under low 30's. A cut on contact tip and proper arrows will go a long way to helping out with lower weight bows.

Don't worry about a minimum draw weight! Just buy your son/daughter the draw-loc; you no longer have to worry about struggling to pull your bow back!

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif Just Kidding!

Draw-loc

I believe MN laws (I know your in IA) requires a min. of 35lbs.

KE is probably more important than draw lbs. I would try to get your son at least into that 40lb range. My hunting partners girlfriend shot several deer with a 40lb bow. She had no issues punching through the ribs. He set her up with a heavier arrow but still the a correct arrow and a 100gr cut on contact broadhead. She even put on through the opposite side shoulder muscle and half the arrow was stuck out when we found the deer.

NE legally you have to be at 40#'s for a whitetail. Cut on contact and not a mechanical will help a lot.

Just an after thought.

You didnt mention how much (if any) your son can pull back now. But if a person was to start him now shooting for next year I think you could build him to 35-40ish range. Even if he was only able to 20 or 15lbs now. Just get him to start somewhere in that 15-25 arrows 2-3 times a week, close range. Sit down, figure out a schedule, every so many weeks you up it 2-3lbs at a time. Try to have him at whatever the end goal weight is by beginning of Sept. That gives him a month before season to shoot the final weight and get comfortable at that weight. Important thing with that idea is not to go up in weight if he has hit a peak and cant pull more with out affecting his form. Im guessing he will make the first few jumps rather quickly and after that it may take some time to up his lbs.

The only reason I thought of this is becuase this is what I did for myself. I started with a 60-70lb bow, could barely pull 60lbs, looked like I was going to blow a vein in my forehead every time. I bet it wasnt 3weeks, and I was pulling the 60lbs with out a strain and with smooth movements. Then I just started cranking it up, right before season I backed my bow down a screw turn on each limb and went hunting.

Spot on info. Could barely pull 60 last year. Shoot every chance I get and now 70 is easy. Might have to get a 70-80 pretty soon. (Don't tell my wife! lol)

Thanks for the info guys. Ended up buying him a Mathews Ignition..hes pulling 30 pounds right now so should be able to get 40 by the time the season rolls around.

Top Bottom