Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Draw Weight

dtk913

I am interested in hearing opinions on draw weight for turkey hunting. I think I am going to try it with my bow this Spring. Right now my bow is set up for deer hunting. It is set at about 70lbs, maybe just a hair more. I would like to leave it where it is because it shoots really well, but I know that some people say you should shoot a lower weight, so the arrow stays in.

What are your thoughts?

I use the exact same setup as with deer...about 65 pounds with a rage broadhead. I've only shot 3 with a bow and none have passed through...although I can't say I'd worry about it if they did.

NWBuck

I would like to leave it where it is because it shoots really well, but I know that some people say you should shoot a lower weight, so the arrow stays in.

What are your thoughts?

I have taken a few dozen with my bow and have always used my deer set-up, but change to mechanicals. Staying in them helps, but honestly, I dont ever worry about that aspect.

Stay away from the wing butt and aim for the intersection of their legs and beard. The vitals are much more posterior than many think.

SP61.jpg

Its addicting..and frustrating :way: You'll love it!

Go for the head with Bullheads. Turks are hard to blood trail. Imo. No need to change your draw wieght.

Mobile Cooter using IW

No need to change weight. Almost every deer I shoot I have a pass through but rarely have pass thoughs on turkeys. 2 inch hammer heads rock, Do like the bullheads too. I found it is a good idea to have both in your quiver.

No need to change your draw weight. But if you do shoot the Bullheads, make sure you practice with them first to see how they fly. I use a good mechanical but any broadhead will do if you use good shot placement

Top Bottom