Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Draw Weight

ZG

PMA Member
What does everyone shoot for draw weight? I'm looking at a bow (Vipertec) that has a 50-60# range, however my current bow is setup somewhere between 60-70#. How much speed and/or KE would I be giving up moving down to a 60# max?

I use to shoot the 60-70lb bows for many years. I have shot the 50-60lb'rs the last few years. Still plenty of bow to kill big game. The Vipertec should have plenty of speed at the weight....which you probably would get 62-63lb's out of. You will appreciate drawing that back at 15 degrees alot more than that 70+ pounder. A rule of thumb I was always told.....if when drawing back you have to raise the bow upward you are pulling to much weight. My opinion.

i've got my razorTEC maxed out at about 72 pounds or so. crankin the arrows at a good speed.

i have to raise my arm a little when i draw but that's attributed to a shoulder injury more than anything. to each their own. i know that i killed my first deer with 40 pounds so with that viper at 60 or so you'll be fine.

72lbs!Just out of curiosity oh great one,why do you have it maxed out???Especially if you had a shoulder injury.Wouldn't you want it a little less so you don't re-injure yourself??Or do you just like arrows flying at Mach 9??Just a ?? don't be offended...I have my bow set at 61 lbs.

i have it maxed out because my shoulder is healed and because i want it that way. when i hurt my shoulder i had to "relearn" to draw my bow. instead of having my elbow go up and over as my shoulder rolled i began to pull at a slight downward angle and raised my off arm up slightly as well. after my shoulder healed i just found it easier to continue drawing my bow like i had "relearned" while i was healing. it's personal preference.

You don't have to give up any speed at all because you will probably use a lighter arrow. With all other things being equal, a 60# bow shooting 6 grains/pound will shoot about the same speed as a 70# shooting 6 grains/pound.

There are several good reasons for shooting less pounds and fewer for shooting more, although the energy is a strong selling point. Of course, you do give up some energy but 60# is plenty to zip right through them and the 50-60# bow will probably max out at 62-63 or more.

Another good reason to pull at full weight, is the bow responds better with the limb bolts screwed all the way down. Same thing if you have a bow that will adjust draw length(like the Viper), you want to shoot it at its longest setting. Both seem to get the most out of the bows.

It's all about shot placement. Doesn't matter how fast it is if you can't hit anything with it.

I hear that. Last fall I had to turn my bow waaayyy down (to 35 lbs) due to a shoulder injury. I limited my shots to under 10 yards and shot a doe right through the heart at 8 yards. No pass through but it didn’t matter - she didn’t even live three seconds. Shot placement!
waytogo.gif

Hopefully I’ll get back up to 45lbs this fall though.

Top Bottom