Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Drawing question!

Iowagiants90

for you out of staters! how long are u guys waiting for bow tags, shotgun tags, and muzz tags to hunt iowa? i know it all depends on how many people send in zone wise, just wondering how long it usually takes for some guys thanks!

If your lucky in the best zones it will take 2 points(3 years of applying) and your chances are 40-50%. On the 4 year you should draw unless your unlucky.

Btw as alt said they are published on the DNR website.

Good luck

Did you not check the published draw odds?

The chart they give, for me, is hard to understand. I'm not picking up what they're putting down.:confused:

I want to see a chart that says something like; zone 9- 0% chance of drawing with no point, 10% chance of drawing with 1 point, 50% chance of drawing with 2 points.....etc

And if people get declined with 3 points, how is it that people with 2 points get tags??? Or is that even possible?

The chart they give, for me, is hard to understand. I'm not picking up what they're putting down.:confused:

I want to see a chart that says something like; zone 9- 0% chance of drawing with no point, 10% chance of drawing with 1 point, 50% chance of drawing with 2 points.....etc

And if people get declined with 3 points, how is it that people with 2 points get tags??? Or is that even possible?

The way I understand it, someone with 3 points will get a tag before someone with 2. Two exceptions are 1) someone applying for points, but not for a tag and 2) someone applying with a group since the lowest points in the group counts for everyone in the group.

Some of the chart is easy to translate. If you applied for a gun tag and you had one point, you should have been guaranteed a tag, unless you were in one of the groups mentioned above. Gun hunters with no points had above a 20% chance of drawing, depending on the zone. The odds for that are shown.

Bow apps zones 1, 2, 7, 8 & 10 with one point should have been in and some with no points drew tags (odds are shown for that). Zones 3, 6 & 9 if they have one point this year, should get drawn. I would assume it was close to the same as that this last year. That only leaves zones 4 & 5. Zone 4 with two points should draw this year. Zone 5 with two most will, depending on how many are only applying for points or applying as a group.

Now, I am sure some math wizard will crush my thinking, but that's OK. I'm wrong quite often. ;)

I am in contact with a lot of nr hunters and have been for many years last year of about 40 people that applied with 2 points nine of them drew so maybe 30 percent. Everyone with 3 points that I knew did get a tag this is zone 5 . The number of what I call point collectors which is people with 3+ points and no idea when they are hunting will surprise you. The reason is with all the people that have points but don't try for a tag as soon as eligible. I have seen the points "creep" to where most good zones will be 3points soon.

Top Bottom