Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Drilling Native and Switch grasses

Does anyone know what advantages there are to using a no till drill (I have access to a Great Plains Drill) to plant native grasses. I understand the concept of frost seeding the grass, just not sure when and how I would use the drill and if it is any better. I was thinking I could mow and nuke a patch with roundup where I wanted natives in the fall, drill the switch or other native mix later that fall before freeze up, and then apply the proper chemicals early the following spring when the cool seasons start to green up to establish the stand. Let me know your thoughts

Does anyone know what advantages there are to using a no till drill (I have access to a Great Plains Drill) to plant native grasses. I understand the concept of frost seeding the grass, just not sure when and how I would use the drill and if it is any better. I was thinking I could mow and nuke a patch with roundup where I wanted natives in the fall, drill the switch or other native mix later that fall before freeze up, and then apply the proper chemicals early the following spring when the cool seasons start to green up to establish the stand. Let me know your thoughts

Drills just allow you to accurantly plant seed at correct rates but otherwise are not needed. NWSG seed just needs to be placed on top of the ground and not really "planted" although when drilling 1/8 to 1/4" is ok.

A common problem is people planting natives too deep so best bet is to just broadcast or drill into frozen soils.

Drills can be used anytime the soil is firm...when it's frozen in the morning or dry enough to drive on without tracking it up.

You can fall seed after late November and if you look in the NWSG thread in dbltree's corner you'll see pics from people who drilled in natives in late fall...:way:

Top Bottom