Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Driven point (sand point) well?

bjkpharmd

I've done some looking and haven't found a source for geographic water tables in Iowa.
Thinking about a driven point well that I can use for water to spray with- I either have to haul water from a neighbors or home right now.
Anyone done this or have info to share?

From what I have heard in years past, about the only thing you wanna do with water from a sandpoint well is water plants. I have heard it is pretty contaminated, but I haven't seen any actual reports. But I bet you already heard that.

The 'Bonker

I've helped put in a good number of them. We have a very shallow water table (20 ft or so) and the ground is a large percentage sand so they are pretty common here. You might want to check with some of your neighbors to see what they've experienced. Though they are very common here, we have small areas of shale and other rock where you can't get one in. Typically if you encounter any type of rock, your screwed. I just happened to buy a home site which has a thin rock shelf running under it.
crazy.gif
I was really counting on a point for lawn care.

Most people put the smaller points in around here. 1 1/4" lines are plenty for most lawns and general homesite usages. I know some farmers who have the larger 1 1/2 points for watering livestock and other. You'll need a pretty good pump for that, can't remember pump sizes off the top of my head, but can easily find out for you.

As far as driving them, we dig down to get a drop on the pipe and then use a jack hammer with a cupped fitting to drive the point. You'll need a good driving cap so you don't mess up the threads. Also, use the longest pipe sections you can.

We put the points a good 10' into the water for table fluctuations.

RRW is too far for trade between $ and hassle factor, might be OK if/when the neighbors want to put it in. Right now it ends and is 1/2 mile from where I want it.
I can get electricity to a pump if needed, was thinking this might be the best option. If I had a hand pump and hydrant I've been told I can only draw from about 20' or so.
Also have toyed with the idea of a guzzler directing rainwater into one of those 200 gallon plastic tanks.

[ QUOTE ]
Typically if you encounter any type of rock, your screwed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't run across a driven well of any kind in my area...only old dug wells.

Everybody has Rathbun Water...or they pump it from a pond (talk about contaminated
smirk.gif
)

An old farmer down the road refused years ago to allow RRW to cross his land with the water line...said he was saving all the nieghbors from being poisoned by the Russians........

RRW had to go cross lots to bypass his place...last year his pond went dry so he decided (apprantly that the Russians weren't after us after all) to ask about putting RRW in...they told him 25K!

Absolutely nothing to do with driving a well of course...
blush.gif
grin.gif

Wonder if the NRCS would have geological info like that?

Top Bottom