Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

DROP TINE BUCKS...

Jethro

Me & a guy were talking about drop tine racks. He said he had seen one the other night out hunting but didn't get a shot. It was the first droptine buck he had ever seen. Myself i have seen two in the wild but never had a shot at either of them also. I was curious how many of you have seen droptines and or harvested one. I have never harvested one yet but maybe some day.

I have seen 1 drop tine buck and i had him at 10 yards and didn't shoot him. He was a young deer, probably 2 1/2 year old. He had a 8 point frame with a 3 inch drop tine on him. That was 2 years ago so hopefully passing on him will pay off this year.
grin.gif

I have saw only 2 in 17 years. Actually I think they were the same buck in consecutive years given the location of both the bucks and the drop tine. A friend shot him during shotgun season the second year, unfortunately he had broken off the drop which was about four inches long.

Did see one this year and last year with a short point (maybe two inches) that came straight out from the main beam near the G2, but I suppose that would qualify as a sticker, or is it kicker?

Have only seen one. It was a big 10-pt. in the parking lot behind August Home Publishing right on Grand Ave. in Des Moines, two doors east of the Governor's Mansion. The area behind the parking lot is wooded and backs down to the river on the north side of Waterworks Park. It was in this same area where the deer in Larry Zach's "Big City Bucks" were filmed.

Threebeards

Harvested one a few years back but the single drop tine was broken off. Also saw this one in Scott County park a few years back. Roger Hill captured several fantastic pictures of this one with one of them making it into NAWT.

Last edited:
Here's of picture of a buck a friend got with a digital camtraker I made for him. Wouldn't you know it its always the deer you want to see that get cut off. Not sure if this is junk coming off the back of the main beam or just a completely deformed antler? Doesn't appear to be too big of a body?

goofy_rack.jpg

Two years ago I saw a buck coming up the hill from me that was just huge. He reminded me of the Collora buck, except that he had two drop tines. Off his G2 on the right, he had a drop tine that went straight down and was approximately eight inches long. Off his main been time on the left, at the very tip, he had a drop tine in the shape of a curlique that hung down approximately six inches, so it would have been longer had it been straight. He was definitely a 200+ class buck. I saw him coming, so I grunted as I wanted him to come my way and he did. I drew back and I didn't know what side of the tree he was going to go on. I was hunting a double oak tree and so I had a tree in front of me concealing my presence. Unfortunately, he decided to turn at the tree in front of me and as I looked down, all I could see were antlers (not his head) and he snorted and scared me so I ended up letting off my bow. He ran 15 yards away and just stood there looking around the timber. I had a perfect shot, but I was shaking so bad I didn't have the strength to pull back my bow. He just walked away, but it was one of the best days I've ever had in my life while bowhunting even though I didn't get a deer.

Top Bottom