Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Drought

dbltree

Super Moderator
Most of Iowa is at best abnormally dry and SE Iowa is under moderate drought...although the news listed it as severe now.
confused.gif

http://www.drought.unl.edu/dm/monitor.html

sure hope these storms make it on over our way:

http://radar.weather.gov/ridge/Conus/uppermissvly.php

Everything is stressed in my area...from food plots to tree plantings.
crazy.gif
To darn early to be worrying about drought.

If it rains...I guess I owe our "rain dancer" some cold ones!
beerchug.gif
grin.gif

Interesting link. The worst drought I saw and ever hope to see was last year in this area. I learned an awful lot about that one, such as how hardy the crops can be and how much of a difference a tenth of an inch makes from one place to another that didn't get it just a short distance away and how I hope the never see one that bad again.

2005 drought.

Another 2005 link.

Good links 150...just shows that much of the same area is still suffering
crazy.gif

This morning the rains look even farther away but hopefully the heat of the day and the cold front will drop some rain on us.
Drought is something we don't always think about or plan for in our foodplots and deer managment plans. "Don't put all your eggs in one basket" for one! Beans can stand dry weather better then corn and alfalfa can send roots down 10 ft, switchgrass thrives in this stuff...all the more reason to keep your habitat plan diverse!
waytogo.gif

I made sure it would rain today- took off on the scooter from Riverside about 1pm headed for the farm. Got hit three times so bad I couldn't see even behind the windshield, just getting semi-dy when the next one hit. Don't have a rain gauge but once I got there I guessed 1/2" a few miles east of Mt Sterling.

Rode all the way home(90 minutes)- got to my son's baseball practice and was mostly dried out except my shoes were still squishing. Wife said it hadn't rained a drop here.

The storm made a pass by here, south of Grinnell. I had an inch in about 25 minutes, probably lost some to runoff and had to re-grade the driveway, but after 3 weeks without a drop I wasnt complaining. I was starting to worry about my CP25 seed sitting out there dying of thirst. Hope you boys get some rain soon.

Everytime it look like it will come through the right area it peters out. I thought for sure the weather last night would have blown right over the newly planted plot, but no.....!

I hear you Mike, I looked at the radar at one point yesterday and it was all the way aruond us swith one big void in the middle of Iowa. Bummer! I think someone needs to head that scooter west!

Well we got about 3 inches over the weekend. Of course it came about 10 minutes after I finished raking hay, and about 5 minutes before we got the baler going. Im not gonna complain, the hay will wait, the rain was a welcomed event.

[ QUOTE ]
Rode all the way home(90 minutes)- got to my son's baseball practice and was mostly dried out except my shoes were still squishing. Wife said it hadn't rained a drop here.

[/ QUOTE ]
Dangit pharmer that just aint right...20 miles away and not a drop!
crazy.gif

You could've at least took the long way home...I would've sent you on your way with a cold one and a dry pair a socks!
grin.gif

Still a chance every day for rain...but I'm starting to think I have a better chance of winning the lotto...
confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
You could've at least took the long way home...I would've sent you on your way with a cold one and a dry pair a socks!

[/ QUOTE ] I would of upped the anti and payed for your gas
grin.gif
!

[quote
Still a chance every day for rain...but I'm starting to think I have a better chance of winning the lotto...
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It sure looks like a load of rain coming your way on the radar right now, all the way from you back to Omaha. Dont see how you guys could miss this one.

I checked the rain gauges (3) after Saturday nights rain. Had 1.5 inch in one and 2 inches in each of the other two. I am extremely grateful. I hope everybody gets as lucky soon!

We've gotten ten drops in the last month! I haven't mowed my yard for three weeks! It's starting to look like Rudd's yard but at least I didn't waste any chemicals.
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

It sure looks like a load of rain coming your way on the radar right now, all the way from you back to Omaha. Dont see how you guys could miss this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looked like a sure deal TP...but not a drop...on my way to buy those lotto tickets
smirk.gif

It seems like things are going from bad to worse around here. The corn is really stressed and curling bad. It looks great east and north of here, but it's shaping up to be a tough summer for corn and beans around my place.
crazy.gif

Drought Map

Top Bottom