Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Drury outdoors, DNR roung table....great job

From 2010-11 Iowa Hunting Regulations:

Resident
means a natural person who meets

one of the following criteria.
1. Has physically resided in this state as the
person’s principal and primary residence or domicile
for period of not less than 90 consecutive days
immediately

before applying for or purchasing

a resident license and has an Iowa drivers license
or non operators ID. A person is not considered
a resident under this paragraph if the person is
residing in the state only for a special or temporary
purpose including but not limited to engaging in

hunting, fishing or trapping.

I wonder if Mark would fall under this regulation? :rolleyes:

I think there is a lot of that going on, which is why I have always said, limiting tags, is not all positive it results in less acres available to residents.

From 2010-11 Iowa Hunting Regulations:

Resident
means a natural person who meets

one of the following criteria.
1. Has physically resided in this state as the
person’s principal and primary residence or domicile
for period of not less than 90 consecutive days
immediately

before applying for or purchasing

a resident license and has an Iowa drivers license
or non operators ID. A person is not considered
a resident under this paragraph if the person is
residing in the state only for a special or temporary
purpose including but not limited to engaging in

hunting, fishing or trapping.

I wonder if Mark would fall under this regulation? :rolleyes:

I doubt alot of folk would fall under it! Money brother!! That would be it! You think planting a a food plot of something SWEET is the same as a thousand acres of corn or beans?????? Try again!! As far as I'm concerned if you knock the next world record off a food plot....get the money!! I think Jordan , and Mel, got the last of the wild records!! I think they should have a cutoff! Deer that were killed off of bait! Those that are!! If you feed deer things that will alter their growth chemically......it's not quite the same as was in the past!! Hunting over a corn or bean field these days make a pretty boring video for most!

I believe the current wr wasn't "grown" crockett. I'm not saying I don't hear what you're saying somewhat just adding my 2 bits I guess.

Crockett- typical jealous comment you always make because you have to knock on doors, and it gets harder every year to keep a free place to hunt.

The last folks that should be getting blasted are folks who put in hours upon hours of back-breaking work putting in plots, improving habitat and making junk ground into wildlife paradise. It's time consuming, hard work and yes- expensive. Greed is not a primary motive for most anyone I know. There's givers and takers in "hunting" and I see the folks who improve habitat, improve wildlife health through plots and do the work as GIVERS. The folks who are the worst offenders & TAKERS are the poachers.... Those are the folks you should be blasting. The guys that don't do anything for any land, wildlife, management or any neighborhood - all this COMMON group of people do is take from everyone else- illegally. Often with guns out car windows, trespassing, etc. That's the huge problem of every neighborhood. I'll take the guy improving his/her 100 acres and taking a buck or 2 legally VS the piece of human trash that is shooting 10-20 bucks from his car window and often selling racks or looking for bragging rights with his poacher buddies. Both scenarios are in every neighborhood and I think our attention gets focused in the wrong direction way too much.

Where in Iowa are the deer numbers over carrying capacity that you need a food plot to keep deer alive. Food plots are for deer hoarders and guys that want to shot deer over "on the plant bait."

They call it farming for wildlife not hunting

Not that I wouldn't plant one they are legal.........that makes it ok.

Last edited:
I have corn and beans planted by a farmer across the street from me. Bait,,,for my deer. It's all over Iowa! All of Iowa is baited!! It's just the way it is...

Ag waste is total different from a food plot. Something that is planted with the intention of never being harvested.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
I rarely if ever tune into the hunting channel anymore but did last night. I watched what I think was a Biologic commercial and a narrator who wasn't pictured said something like "yes,....now I've got all my neighbor's deer out here too".

I know lots of guys on here do food plots, many of you I respect alot but it seems that is what it is more about in the grand scheme of things, (not to everyone) than deer health. It's like the commercial inadvertantly stated,...getting your neighbors deer or keeping yours at home and as cooter said, farming for wildlife.

Where in Iowa are the deer numbers over carrying capacity that you need a food plot to keep deer alive. Food plots are for deer hoarders and guys that want to shot deer over "on the plant bait."

They call it farming for wildlife not hunting

Not that I wouldn't plant one they are legal.........that makes it ok.

Many places in Southern IA are far over carrying capacity, I know tons of areas. A lot of folks on here have seen the deer that don't make it through a winter. A buck that went through a hard rut, a doe that's skin & bones come spring, the fawn that's skin & bones come spring - those are the ones that make it. I've seen deer going into February really stressed for a variety of reasons and then I'm praying we don't get belted with more ICE, -20 degree temps and deep snow. There's places all over the state with heavy amounts of pasture land, timber and smaller ag areas (and the ag that's there is poor quality) - those areas are often the most highly populated.....
Those areas get cleaned out by the newer & more efficient combines in SEPTEMBER & OCTOBER. I watch this all the time.... The field gets picked in October and it's filled with 30 deer a night until 2-3 weeks later they have it picked clean.
*And YES, there's tons of areas in IA that are now HURTING on deer population too. The top 2/3rd's of the state in particular.
You haven't see areas that the habitat is being destroyed because of over-browsing??? oak regeneration being really hammered? There's plenty of areas in IA that have far too many deer, experience everything from STRESS to DEATH - the ones that make it look rough come spring. We have some nasty cold, icy winters. I've seen whole herds get whipped out in the UP of MI and I know we aren't as bad here BUT at a minimum, there's absolutely areas that experience huge stress and death.

Why does PF encourage (and give free seed) food plots for pheasants for the hard winters???? http://www.iowapheasantsforever.org/

Why does NWTF do the same? Why does the NRCS office connect us with free seed for DEER, turkeys, etc? Because foodplots help a very stressed animal get through winters. It will also help build stronger deer & hence, larger racks which is an added bonus. If you don't think having winter food plots will increase buck rack size the following year- let me know?!?! (which is just a bonus of all this). Help fawns, pregnant females, etc.

Shall I go through all of the other benefits of food plots that are NOT in the category of "GREED" or "CHEATING" like some folks think???? And I'll argue til the cows come home why it's not even a close argument talking about all the benefits and REASONS a guy puts in plots & how they are HUNTED vs a BAIT PILE that's hunted over. I'll have that discussion anytime.

I enjoy good, decent debate. Happy to discuss any of this & appreciate your passion. I need to start a different thread on this. I have to do it after the weekend though because during this weekend I'll be spraying all of my bean fields and getting areas rocking with turnips, radishes, etc, etc :)

Last edited:
Good posts Skip and I agree 100%. I have an honest question for those so against "food plots" that make shooting a monster a "slam dunk" (sarcasm inserted :))

If I were to hand those opposed to plots a deed to a 100 acre farm with four perfect isolated 2 acre pockets next to timber...are you telling me you absolutely, would not plant a thing and just let it to go to grass or heaven forbid.... CRP?

Or is CRP also poor form?

I know Skip you plant your food plots for the turkey and pheasants you don't hunt and all the other little birdies. The big bucks are just a bonus.

If southern Iowa is so packed with deer they are starving why do you get so upset about shed bucks they would likely starve anyway.

I plant stuff for pheasants because someday I'd like to hunt them on my place but there isn't enough right now. I help the turkeys and some kids do hunt my place for turkeys. Shed bucks don't die on my farm... I have plenty of food to get them through the winter. I won't allow anyone to hunt my place that isn't extremely careful and I trust they won't shoot a shed buck. Thank goodness for private property rights and my abilitiy to make choices and decisions I feel are best for all wildlife and management. As long as no one infringes on my private property rights to make these choices, I feel some relief but will defend other's who believe the same.

Wow you said you could debate your reasons for food plots for hours. But two post and your already pulling out the its my ground I can do what I want card.

What!?!? That isn't a hugely valid point? Are u really minimizing private property rights??? See, ya- I can go all day debating food plots. Happy to do it. One major thing though- I'm just thankful I can make my own choices. If folks like u had ur way- would u not let me put plots on my place??? Do u hunt deer going to a food source in ur area like a corn field or an alfalfa field???? Are u hunting them coming and going to those and do u plan ur hunts based on food sources like those?????

Are the people who are against food plots also against the fisherman who puts forth the extra effort to sink his old christmas tree or some other structure is some 'speical secret' spot to improve the habitat, attract more fish, and improve his chances of success??? And then complain he is just 'farming for fish' and it trying to take fish from the other guys out there who are too lazy to do the same?

If you don't want the deer you hunt to disappear, then do something about it and improve the habitat where you hunt. Or at least don't bash the folks who are willing to.

And how come every Drury related post on this site turns into a CSI 'are they residents' saga?? Makes me laugh every time!!!

Really, people with food plots are the enemy now? This website is so messed up anymore.

I was just thinking the same thing!

I think some of the guys on here just like to argue for the sake of arguing. And some are just so jealous of anyone that has land or has made it in the hunting biz, that they feel the need to take shots. Whatever makes em happy I guess. Their Holier than thou attitude is kind of funny really!

I was just thinking the same thing!

I think some of the guys on here just like to argue for the sake of arguing. And some are just so jealous of anyone that has land or has made it in the hunting biz, that they feel the need to take shots. Whatever makes em happy I guess. Their Holier than thou attitude is kind of funny really!

Yep!

Bottom line is the anti-Drury crowd is nothing more than jealous... that or ignorant... hahahaha :confused:

Top Bottom