Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

DSD running count

For bowhunting, I can see the value as you need to get them CLOSE with confidence. But with a gun there is no need.

I completely disagree with this statement( no offense) For example, I have my 835, 3.5 inch 12 ga, backbored with a .670 Pure Gold choke, and I shoot 2 7/16 oz, straight 7 Nitro hand loads (getting over 300 hits in a 10 inch circle at 30 yds) and I can very confidently say that my bow is just as effective out to a longer range than my 12 guage. I would not shoot at a gobbler over 45 with my shotgun, and I would have no problem shooting at a strutting gobbler at 60 with my bow(under the right conditions). Im not trying to cause an argument here, but I never understood the misconception people have that shotguns have a more effective range than a bow. Just the contrary if you ask me.

Last edited:
well, you are entitled to your opinion, but (no offense either) 60 yards at a turkey with a bow is completely unacceptable in my opinion.

and I have a hard time believing a bow is more effective than a shotgun. I just won't buy that one.

But, I can tell you this. I have killed a pile of turks over ugly fold up decoys that hardly have any paint left on them. I may upgrade to the DSDs this year, but only so I can be as cool as HCH.

.....I never understood the misconception people have that shotguns have a more effective range than a bow. Just the contrary if you ask me.

I got no problem with ya man, but that last statement is kinda whacked if you ask me. I will make you this guarantee, at 45 yards with 5-10 shots each, my 12 ga pattern will far exceed yours with your bow. Not trying to start a fight either, :grin: just sayin....

:way:

Last edited:
I would say a shotgun has a more effective range than a bow too for me. I have taken 3 turkeys between 62 and 67 yards with my gun and know darn well I couldn't do that with my bow. A bow would definitely have no problem at all killing them at that distance though therefore if your gun can only pattern well to 40 and you can shoot well out to 60 with a bow, then I would agree without doubt that the bow has a more effective range.

I know a guy who killed a turkey at 97 yards with his bow. Took him 3 shots, but he got him. Shoot a turkey at 97 yards with a shotgun and I doubt you would scratch him.

Bow use to be a close range weapon!! That's why the state gave us our own season!! Keep it up !!:way: Keep bragging on how far your bow/arrow can kill something! Go ahead!! :thrwrck:

My argument for cost justification for them though is, MADE IN THE USA, now figure the cost of time from work, $3.50 a gallon gas to travel to your hunting spot, $70 for 3 broad heads and arrows, $300 blind, tags/license, $1000-$1500 bow setup, calls, etc etc.
Why not have the most realistic deke spread available? Not to mention that these are something that hold their value quite well. They could be passed down to generation after generation(except the end is near, so get your life in order, because if you don't know Christ as your personal savior, what are you waiting for? )
:way::way:

Bow use to be a close range weapon!! That's why the state gave us our own season!! Keep it up !!:way: Keep bragging on how far your bow/arrow can kill something! Go ahead!! :thrwrck:

I'd rather have Thomas shoot me with his shot gun at 70 yds then Byron Ferguson with his long bow at 100 yds;)

Last edited:
I am going to consider getting at least the Jake, as the posture is the most important part of the decoy. I have had MANY decoys and the reaction that jake seems to get is great. I am more interested in the posture, than the detail.

I think you are right on Thomas.

You will not be sorry with the jake. :way::way:

Yea! Well! I guess with both we took pride in how close we could get an animal! You boy's just keep bragg'in !! You will all end up in the same season!! :thrwrck:
I don't believe there was any "braggin" being done, and last time I checked, we already do share the same season in Iowa. Archery tag is good for all seasons!

Honestly I wasn't trying to start any chit, I was trying to get the point across that there are alot of people that think when they put a gun in their hand they have this extended range and power. IMO it is just like shotgun season when a guy lobs a slug at a deer that is 200 yards out. We all know that there are very few dudes that can pull that off, not to mention you need the correct setup. If you look at how fast your shot(pellets) lose velocity and energy, I think you would be surprised at the "effective" range of your shotgun. Sure there are going to be guys that find that golden BB and kill a bird at 70 yds, but if you have ever patterned your gun past 40yds, you will know how much the pattern density has diminished. Personally, I think the Turkey game is about getting them as close as we can, and have never even tried a shot remotely close to that far, but I have no problem saying that I could make a 50 - 60 yd shot easily with my bow once again UNDER THE RIGHT CONDITIONS. Sorry if I rubbed some of you guys the wrong way, I just think alot of guys have no idea what their guns are capable of, or not capable of.

Last edited:
but I have no problem saying that I could make a 50 - 60 yd shot easily with my bow once again UNDER THE RIGHT CONDITIONS.capable of.

Hitting a turkey at 50 yards is one thing! But Killing a turkey at that range is a different story!

Hitting a turkey at 50 yards is one thing! But Killing a turkey at that range is a different story!

That whole post, and that is what you take away from it? :thrwrck:
The point of my post was supposed to be knowing the effective range of your weapon regardless to which one a person chooses to use. We all just need to take ethical shots based on effectiveness of our chosen method (which can vary from person to person). Understood?

Last edited:
I love the DSD strutter, but won't be purchasing one until my B-Mobile stops working. They've been charging into my B-Mobile for the last 4 years, I see no reason to change. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'm thinking about getting the feeder hen and submissive hen though. :drink1:

Hardcorehunter said:
I'd rather have Thomas shoot me with his shot gun at 70 yds then Byron Ferguson with his long bow at 100 yds;)

Date, time, and location please

I love the DSD strutter, but won't be purchasing one until my B-Mobile stops working. They've been charging into my B-Mobile for the last 4 years, I see no reason to change. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'm thinking about getting the feeder hen and submissive hen though. :drink1:

I agree! I have shot too many big tom's using my pretty boy to change now! But the hen's do look real nice!:way:

My argument for cost justification for them though is, MADE IN THE USA, now figure the cost of time from work, $3.50 a gallon gas to travel to your hunting spot, $70 for 3 broad heads and arrows, $300 blind, tags/license, $1000-$1500 bow setup, calls, etc etc.
Why not have the most realistic deke spread available? Not to mention that these are something that hold their value quite well. They could be passed down to generation after generation(except the end is near, so get your life in order, because if you don't know Christ as your personal savior, what are you waiting for? )
:way::way:

Ya know Don, your need to justify everything you do, buy, and post could be that people have a hard time forgetting what a total prick you were prior to leaving the site for a while and then coming back and being "saved". Your approach lately with your "infinite knowledge and wisdom" is no different than before, yet just a lighter tone that rubs me the wrong way causing me to find zero validity in anything you post. Shocking as it may be, people can still kill turkeys and deer without making a modification to everything on the market and then posting for all to see in such a way that you would like to be perceived up on the same pedestal that the "before Christ Don" liked to be perched on where you lost any and all credibility. Get over yourself man.

Ya know Don, your need to justify everything you do, buy, and post could be that people have a hard time forgetting what a total prick you were prior to leaving the site for a while and then coming back and being "saved". Your approach lately with your "infinite knowledge and wisdom" is no different than before, yet just a lighter tone that rubs me the wrong way causing me to find zero validity in anything you post. Shocking as it may be, people can still kill turkeys and deer without making a modification to everything on the market and then posting for all to see in such a way that you would like to be perceived up on the same pedestal that the "before Christ Don" liked to be perched on where you lost any and all credibility. Get over yourself man.

Well said S2K! I think, no wait I know you speak for a lot of guys on here with this post. :way:

Top Bottom