Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Dubuque Buck Pictures

OneCam

This picture could very well be on the front page of one our favorite hunting magazines this coming year . . . what a exceptional buck. Sent in by iowabruce.

theis4.jpg

OneCam

INCREDIBLE!!!
shocked.gif

That is a buck to die for.I love nontyp's anyway and this buck is what dream's are made of.Hope we get to read and hear more about this deer in the future.
What a cool looking picture also!

I see the salvage tag, so it must be a bunch of rumors. Nice mount.

Those droppers are awesome, can't wait till the story comes out. Did anyone have the sheds to the deer?

That is most likely an evidence tag not a salvage tag!

Yes shed from this deer have been found from more than one season. I have a photo on my digital camera of it's left shed from last season and the right shed from 99. (suspected)
This deer was in a populated area and seen often over an extended period.

Rumors? Well I'm sure a twisted story like this will cause many of them. We've tried enough criminals on the press and we can't be sure a crime was infact committed in this case. So I'll do as I suspect others have been doing and leave it to the shysters (lawyers)
I am very curious how it will end up. The property owner may have as much right to it as the DNR! The hunter or hunters that shot the deer have a long row to hoe before it will come into there possession. I would sure like to be on that jury!

That sure is a nice cape they found for it! Wonder who paid the taxidermist!

Great looking mount.

If I were the taxidermist I would have done it for free just for the recognition! You know that deer is going to end up on a magazine cover, and they will probably mention the taxidermists name as a side note. Wow what a buck!!

Iowabruce, do you know the story? I noticed you sent the pictures both times. Is this deer still in controversy. You must know something.

Pupster

I know just what you guys do......not much, time will tell on this one, I hope the guy has one hell of a good lawyer!!!!!!!!!!

The guy shot, found it or what ever would still have the rack if he would have just taken it home and said nothing, in the spring he could show it and said this is the deer I shot. And he would have a deer of a thousand lifetimes. These people that find this type of deer must be plain stupid ,can any one of you guys even think of giving something like this up.We don't know all the details of this deer but it a shame it turned out this way. I know of found deer that would be in the top 5 in Iowa that the DNR has never bothered with the key word is I shot it and tag it and the coyotes ate the carcass, Do not take it to a taxidermist for a year. If you want to loose a deer of this caliber, just let your ego get in the way......

Would the questions on the B+C affidavit be any different in the spring?
1.The hunter had no idea legal action would result from the act of placing a bow tag on the deer.
2. A number of people were aware that the deer was recovered. Controlling the knowledge of this was not possible. (or wise)
3. I don't think ANY rack is worth going to jail for Obstruction of Justice.

To One Cam Adm or Ia Bruce can you post instructions on how to insert pictures in these posts. I have a couple of pictures you non-typical lovers would like to see. Taken shotgun season 1 is a 13 190inch and a 190inch 25 pointer.
As for the guy that would tag a deer like that after he had given up his search with a bow tag in the middle of shotgun season and then tell people about it is crazy. I smell a rat I think what he is trying to do is lay claim to a world class bow kill that he actually stumbled upon while shotgun hunting. They say he wounded it during bow season but just happened to find it during shotgun season.Ya right. If I would have stuck a deer like that I would have searched in that area day and night in fear of another hunter finding it. If the cape was ate off of it by shotgun season it had been dead for quite some time and if the guy was really searching for it he would have found it before shotgun season.
Yes I don't know why he just didn't keep quiet for awhile as long as the skull plate has not been broken it can be measured for P&Y and B&C anytime after 60 days is up.
It is just a shame that such a great animal couldn't be taken legal with no questions asked instead in may end up in the wrong hands.

I want to know who the taxidermist was on this deer. He did one hell of a fast job and good one to boot from what I can tell. Looks like it took one month to do the mount. My brother took his buck in and just did a European mount and it took 2 1/2 months. My buck from last year (shoulder mount) took almost 6 months!

Rattle Them In......

There seems to be alot about the story of this buck that are unknown. However.....

The event of someone shooting a deer with his bow and finding it during shotgun season probably happens more than you think. It happened to me in 1999. Everyone loves to tell about a perfect double lung shot and watching the majestic buck fall with-in site of your treestand. And so do I, that should be the goal. If anyone on this site has not made a less than perfect shot before, I say you have not bowhunted long enough or are very fortunate. I hit a 183" gross non-typical in the shoulder during the 1999 bow season late in November. I waited for five hours as I knew I had only 6 inches of arrow penetration and most likely only one lung. Several friends were called to help with tracking. Three bed sites were found along the way and finally resulted in jumping the buck. We then left hoping he would bed down again. I did look day and night for the next two days and was real sick about it for weeks. I told all my bordering landowners about this and to keep an eye out. To shorten a long story, the shoulder mount graces my greatroom. And yes, coyotes can clean a buck up in a matter of days.
wink.gif

Ghost Walker

Interesting post.

It would appear that you did exactly what this hunter told me he did. A question and I am not making any judgement , I likely would have done exactly what you did. Did you get a salvage tag for your found dead deer?

This whole area is sticky to say the least. I hope the DNR does their investigation and either charges the hunter or restores full ownership to the hunter promptly. I doubt that their is much hard evidence to disprove what the hunter is saying. Any statements made by jealous hunters claiming misdeeds are just hot air without some hard evidence to the contrary. We will just have to wait and see.

To Ghost Walker could you post a picture of that 183 incher I love seeing big bow taken whitetails?
Like you said we don't know much about this guy or story but I certainly would have looked for weeks and months not days. Because truthfully you could call in sick for weeks. I know I would've have been very sick. I'm greatful you found your buck and you must have done it right because it is not in the DNR's hands now.

As for the coyotes they will clean a deer up under the right circumstances in a couple of days but not this winter in this state. They like fresh food and with no snow they had plenty of it. They may have ate the best parts of the deer but not the cape and head. There was enough deer there to find before shotgun season.
On a piece of land I bowhunt I found a doe stuck in the fence on the 2nd weekend of October and as of last weekend none of it was ate except for parts of the hind quarters. I know it is populated with coyotes because we shot 7 of them during shotgun season and 4 last weekend out of this timber.

Top Bottom