Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Durable Targets?

NebraskaWhitetail

Is there a more-durable broadhead target than "The Block" I've shot broadheads into my Block about half a dozen times, it's pretty tore up. Kind of a shame since they cost so much. Once upon a time I had heard that the Morrell Eternity Target (bag type) was a good one from a durability standpoint. Any thoughts.

Morrell Yellow Jacket (Broadhead only target) Can get from Cabela's for $45 dollars, Ask Jay and probably receive a 10% discount
grin.gif
Dont shoot field tips into these, you will never get them out, they mold right to the target.

"Best broadhead target I have ever shot was my buddies!"

I have shot a lot of them, and none really stand out in my mind. Honestly the best thing that I shoot at that last the longest is one of those 3D Turkey targets from Cabelas. They are descent size and will stop your boradheads and take some abuse. And there is really six sides you can shoot.

[ QUOTE ]
Morrell Yellow Jacket (Broadhead only target)

[/ QUOTE ]
Ditto
Great target and usually you can find them on sale somewhere.

About ten or more years ago I glued three, two foot square peices of two inch thick blue foam together. The stuff is very dense and stops broadheads great.
It makes for a durable and portable target to sight in your broadheads.

Jay:

Are you talking about that rigid insulation board that is used for construction projects? I never thought of trying that stuff...

i also vote for the Morrell Yellow Jacket. bought one 2 years ago and use it only to check my broadheads. it has stood up well and the broadheads pull out easy. think i paid $45 for it back then.

[ QUOTE ]
Matt, yes, that's the stuff. Liquid nail to hold the peices together.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did that a while ago also jay. I even glued and bolted in the corners, a piece of 1/4"plywood also. Workde great. Sure it dulled the broadheads, but stopped them very well. Also nice to have a 4'x8' backstops for those long shots.

after reading this thread yesterday, I decided to go home last night and tinker around and try to come up with my own version of the block. I used 1/4" foam board compressed using 2 ratchet straps and end clamps made out of 2x4's. I was a little skeptical if it would work, but it had no problem stopping the arrows. Even at 10 yards and shooting 278 feet per second with my Trykon, the arrows were only penetrating about 10 inches and were suprisingly easy to remove. I shot about a dozen arrows into it, and the foam seems to hold up very well. It's a little on th bulky side, so I'm gonna make some changes on the next one I make. I'm thinking of making a large one out of 2'x4' sheets of insulation board, and put it on wheels so I can roll it in and out of my garage. Here are a few pictures. I put the entire thing together in about an hour. For using just random material that I had laying around I am very impressed with the way it works. My next one will look a little better.

http://www.iowawhitetail.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=13234&size=big&password=&sort=7&thecat=998

http://www.iowawhitetail.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=13235&size=big&password=&sort=7&thecat=998

I've tried targets made from insulation board in the past and always end up with a film on my carbon arrow shafts I have to scrape off from the insulation bonding to the shaft. Don't like that.

I have used the block for several years and they do get chewed up but should last a few years. I just bought a Rhinehart broadhead buck 3-D target and it seems to be OK, at least the insert is replacable and you get to pratice at a deer target instead of a black square making practicing more fun and realistic. It shows the vitals also which are placed rather well compared to the "10" rings on most 3-D targets.

I have used the 3d targets that they sell at the local shoots. The shot up ones or just the mid sections that they cannot use because a scoring line is gone. Pick them up for $10-$20 and it will last a long time for your broadhead practicing. The Blocks were never intended for broadheads if you ask me.

The Block is expensive because they have to pay for all those BIG names to be in the same place at the same time for their commercials.....

I use a Morrell target, and love it.

Shon

Top Bottom