Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

E h d

legbone

Anyone heard of this disease affecting our herd here in Iowa? Saw this article in USA Today...

In northeast Montana, officials said 90 percent or more of whitetail have been killed along a 100-mile stretch of the Milk River from Malta to east of Glasgow. Whitetail deaths also have been reported along the Missouri and Yellowstone rivers in western North Dakota and eastern Montana and scattered sites in Wyoming, South Dakota and eastern Kansas.
The deaths are being attributed to an outbreak of epizootic hemorrhagic disease, or EHD. Transmitted by biting midges, EHD causes internal bleeding that can kill infected animals within just a few days.
"I've been here 21 years and it was worse than any of us here have seen," said Pat Gunderson, the Glasgow-based regional supervisor for Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks. "Right now it's going to take a few years to get things back to even a moderate population."

Yes I have heard of it. Every creature has disease, virus, bacteria. A part of nature we all live in. Now I am sure this is going to be somehow linked to feeding or mineral sites. Sorry,,Not going there,,Sorry.

2 years ago, on one farm I found 40 deer dead on one farm... I had the DNR come out and look them over! Thats all the answer I got was "it was EHD" ! The kill started after our first really hard frost and went on for about a 4 week period. We found anything from yearning does to 6 year old mature bucks! Sad thing to see!

Yeah it was about 10 years or so ago when I found a 140ish 13 pointer barely alive and actually laying down at the foot of my ladder stand. I couldn't believe it. I walked right up to him.

Top Bottom