Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Eagle Forage Soybeans

IQDM

Ok the eagle forage soybeans have been out for awhile now... what is everyones experience with them? Do they hold up to browse as advertised? Anyone have pictures? maybe some side by side comparisons?

They killed the ones I planted, just like regular soybeans so I personally prefer clover or alfalfa for summer forage.

When I plant soybeans I want "grain" not forage and forage beans usually do not yield as high as regular beans. The other problem is that they stay green right up to first frost which means the turn right smack in the middle of hunting season and they won't touch them for weeks.

I like to plant early maturing soybeans and overseed winter rye into them just as the start to yellow...hard to beat that combination!:way:

I planted Eagles Manager Mix in 2008 in North Central Wisconsin. They grew and held up to deer browse very well. The only problem that I had was due to our shorter growing season they did not grow any pods and after the 1st hard frost they were done. Last year I planted regular RR soy beans with different maturity dates 101 was the earliest and 201 was the latest maturity. This gave me soybean plants that stayed green right up to the 1st hard frost but plenty of bean pods that fed the deer well into January. I will be using the regular RR beans again this year.

I'm planning on trying Eagle soybeans this year and mixing them with regular RR soybeans. Going with the game keeper variety in one row of my planter and ag beans in the other. That way it will be two rows of ag and two of eagle beans. That way I have pods come frost and hopefully a draw into winter. Sounds good in theory.

They killed the ones I planted, just like regular soybeans so I personally prefer clover or alfalfa for summer forage.

When I plant soybeans I want "grain" not forage and forage beans usually do not yield as high as regular beans. The other problem is that they stay green right up to first frost which means the turn right smack in the middle of hunting season and they won't touch them for weeks.

I like to plant early maturing soybeans and overseed winter rye into them just as the start to yellow...hard to beat that combination!:way:

Have you tried tyrone or hutchenson varieties? I was wondering if they do better since what I read about them was that they were a large bushy variety of ag bean.

Top Bottom