Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Early Doe/Late Doe Ethics?

crietveld

Several people have suggested recently the DNR should open an early doe season and get rid of the January one. I agree with the thought of harvesting fewer shed bucks, but how do people feel about harvesting does in october that may have dependant fawns? I personally feel the depradation tags issued to farmers for August and September are a terrible idea just for that reason. Also, why is there outrage at the number of shed bucks harvested but not button bucks? Is a dead button buck less of a potential trophy than a dead shed buck?

i think that a button buck is less of a potential trophy than a shed buck. a shed buck has survived longer and has a better chance at surviving to be a trophy animal (if the shed buck wasn't already a trophy animal). a button buck has to get past disease, predators, cars, other hunters for at least 3 or more years before it becomes a nice buck. There is a reason there are way more tiny young bucks than huge bucks. And many people kill huge bucks during this season because they judge animals based on body size and a huge shed buck looks like a lot of good meat.

I've killed quite a few does in early october that had fawns, i dont think they were dependant. I almost always see the fawns later that year that have herded up with other deer after the rut. an early gun antlerless season in october or september would be great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jumpinghorse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how do people feel about harvesting does in october that may have dependant fawns? </div></div>

The only thing fawns are dependant upon the doe for in October is education. They can make the transition from milk at 2 months of age (but don't because they don't have to).

Top Bottom