Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Early ML Tags

well last year I was sitting in the tree with my bow mid October when I coulda been using a smoke pole, so I figured why not. by mid December I've already been out most weekends for 2-1/2 months and am getting wore out...

You should be able to get one fairly easily if you just make a point to get online and buy the first day they're available. I think they sell out in like a week generally.

As for the late season vs. early comment, it just depends on your area. Unless you have "THE SPOT" (variety of awesome food sources, cover, LOW PRESSURE), late season can be pretty discouraging. I myself prefer early season just because they haven't been pressured yet. My hunting areas get hit extremely hard during the shotgun seasons which usually makes the truly mature animals go nocturnal for the rest of the season, even in the brutal cold.

They sold out in about 5 days last year. Mark August 15th on your calendar and make sure to be online to get one on that date and you'll be fine.

One thing to keep in mind this year is that it was a late planted crop in most areas, so there will likely be very little corn harvested by early ML this year, whereas last year they were pretty much done in this area.

NWBuck

well last year I was sitting in the tree with my bow mid October when I coulda been using a smoke pole, so I figured why not. by mid December I've already been out most weekends for 2-1/2 months and am getting wore out...

that's why i'm looking forward to October

In your situation I can see why you would like to try the early mloader. Like said before, the crops will be late this year, but you may be able to pattern a good buck still on his summer feeding pattern. Otherwise it can get real slow the 2 or 3 weeks before halloween.

one more question for you guys: do i need to go through a FFL here in Iowa for a T/C Triumph? budsgunshop.com beats anybody's price here in Iowa City

I know last year it was August 15th that we could start buying early ML tags and that was the date the county specific antlerless tags went on sale too. I was sure they had that date posted for quite awhile before 8/15, but this year I can't find any hard info on the DNR site.
Does anyone have a link that specifies the date they go on sale and/or how many antlerless tags they're allowing per county?

My dad always goes early season less pressure more deer movement during daylight and lot nicer weather. Really it all just depends on pressure, we get lot of pressure around us during gun season so we usually just let them be and besides 95% of the time they dont move till the last second of shooting light. Great success can be done early season just got to scout a little more. Goodluck to ya.

Top Bottom