Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Early Muzzleloader/rut

martomic

Hey, I am thinking about going early muzzleloader season. I have only hunted shot gun season in the past. I purchased a mzlder this year and plan on getting a bow next year. I don't know much about the early season so I am looking for some advice. I know rut is just starting and bucks are starting to move more the later e. muzzleloader season gets.

Are the bucks starting to fight for territory yet? So should I rattle or grunt at all?

Thanks in advance.

If you have one patterned e muzzy is great otherwise it a gamble. With the weather crops and movement it can be verry tough.

Cooter

Sent from my phone on IW

If you can hunt the food late season then that is what I would pick. If you can't, hunt the food then early muzz may not be a bad choice. Early muzz can be a very tough gig with the bugs, crops, warm weather, thick vegetation, october lull etc.

Like everyone else said it is a tough season. I got a tag a couple years ago and we just shot does the first few days and finally on the last day we had a nice buck coming out to a standing bean field with does. Usually the last weekend it is just starting to get good but it can be real hit or miss. Late muzz is much more consistent for us

Dad has killed a few nice bucks during early season. The best way is to just know where they are moving and if your lucky and have ag fields maybe you will have some picked fields and can kill a nice one off of that. Dad has had goodluck grunting a little and and a little of tickling tines together. It really can be tough to hunt this time of year because of the weather and if crops are still up but dont overlook it. May need to scout a couple days and get it figured out.Thats what i was doing for dad while bowhunting. Our corn got picked the 14th of october and the deer were pouring out in the corn, so he set up on the corn and he ended up getting a shot at a nice 140 he missed of course:thrwrck: but like a nice son I backed him up and harvested the deer a couple weeks later:D

I will have to agree with LIV4RUT. If you have good food sources to hunt during the late season I would go that route. Also the late season will give you a little more time in the field. Although if you don't get at least average to below average temps the late season can be pretty tough.

Shot one of my best bucks early muzz season. My setup was on the edge of a thick (jungle like) cedar timber. The deer would come out of there about 15 min before sunset and head out to the alfalfa fields. This is going to be your best bet or may try on a small pond in CRP ground or a river. Good luck

Depends on what you're after. I've never been able to rattle in anything over 1.5 until the tail end of October. Same with rut activity in general, I don't start seeing any territorial behavior or chasing until the last few days of October.

Top Bottom