Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Early rubs

C

chrisj

I am in Nothern Missouri and West Central Illinois and while hanging stands Saturday found 5 new fresh rubs, all on small sapling type trees. I have only found rubs this early once before, has anyone else been out and found any? I was really surprised to have found any so soon.

My brother and I were out over the weekend trimming some lanes and setting up a few more portables. We did find one rub in the process.

I spent Wed evening - Sunday morning looking at properties in Missouri and Southern Iowa and didn't see any rubs - shouldn't be long though. I'll come back in Oct (with bow) and see how things have changed.

Jerry

MY FIRST HARD HORNED PHOTO SHOWED UP ON AUG 28TH AT 11:23 PM. NOTICED TWO RUS WITHIN 25 YARDS---TOO BAD HES ONLY A 16 IN 8 POINTER, ILL GIVE HIM A COUPLE MORE YEARS.. M350 OUT

i have been seeing a few rubs in my areas in jackson county its just amatter of time

Hey Tim, What areas of Jackson County do you hunt? I hunt within 15 miles of Bellevue. Maggs

My boy's and I where hanging a few portables on 8-31 and saw several rubs also on very small sapling type trees. Still have not seen any hard horns.

Dad (ironwood) called last night from the car to tell me about a rub he just drove by. It was only a block away so I hopped on my bike a rode down. Somebody saw it happen. A big buck snapped off half of a bush about as round as a quarter and chased off a smaller buck at the same time. Went for a walk in those woods today and jumped a decent buck off his bed. I must have been doing something right, because he was only ten yards away and just trotted off calmly. I didn't get the best look at him throught the cover, but I know he was in his winter coat and I'm almost positive he was velvet free.

maggs sorry i didnt reply earlier but my computer jumped the string i hunt around otter creek and iron hill area are you familar with that area? tim

I know where they are and that there is some great hunting over there but I've never been over that way with a bow. Good Luck. Maggs.

On the new eighty we've been watching a couple bucks, one 8 - 18" and a 10 at about 20", well last night I through up my Rut Stand and then looking for a early season stand I ran into what I think is there feeding heaven right now. Just off the hay and corn fields, maybe 80 yards I found (seen it this spring) this little nob loaded with white oaks. When I got onto of it last night the acorns were falling all around me and then I started to notice something else, rubs. I counted 15 rubs from one spot. It is open on this nob and every 1"-3" tree was rubbed. I plan on hanging a stand here, but it looks like it might be a perfect spot to bed. He could see down the draw and up to the fields, so I am wondering if he might be bedding here with all these rubs or both these bucks could be feedign heavily here on acorns on their way out the fields at night. If i but a deer from here walking in one afternoon I'm not going to hunt it untill the rut.

Can't wait.

On the new eighty we've been watching a couple bucks, one 8 - 18" and a 10 at about 20", well last night I through up my Rut Stand and then looking for a early season stand I ran into what I think is there feeding heaven right now. Just off the hay and corn fields, maybe 80 yards I found (seen it this spring) this little nob loaded with white oaks. When I got onto of it last night the acorns were falling all around me and then I started to notice something else, rubs. I counted 15 rubs from one spot. It is open on this nob and every 1"-3" tree was rubbed. I plan on hanging a stand here, but it looks like it might be a perfect spot to bed. He could see down the draw and up to the fields, so I am wondering if he might be bedding here with all these rubs or both these bucks could be feedign heavily here on acorns on their way out the fields at night. If i but a deer from here walking in one afternoon I'm not going to hunt it untill the rut.

Can't wait.

Bow season opens Saturday here in Wisconsin. I went out to my cabin today to get some more of my clothing washed and to do a little scouting, checking out some areas to whittle down which stand I'll be in.

I did a double-take when I found a scrape. Not your ordinary, garden variety small scrape that was done half hearted by a buck just passing by, but one that was really torn up. In three places under this knarly old-oak tree the ground was ripped up pretty good.

About three weeks ago, I saw a 130 class (more or less) buck in the area. I didn't get a great look at him. As I'm usually pretty prepared, I actually rebuilt an old stand in this very tree last season. I have two other stands within 75 yards of this spot, which is in a pretty unique location.

If the winds are favorable, I'm going to hunt at a stand furthest away from this spot this weekend, but still in the general area and see if I can catch a glimpse of the boy who's been marking it and when he's visiting (morning or evening) before moving in on him.

Top Bottom