Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Educated guesses...How Many Inches?

ArcheryIA44

PMA Member
Okay, to make things clear, I am talking about a trail cam picture of a deer:)

Not having access to any private land, I am one of the many confined the (rather small) public land tracts around the central part of the state.

Call it beginner's luck, but I hung two trail cameras in my public spot for over four months this past year and I didn't lose either camera. I'm still learning and came up almost skunked for buck pictures until late October when I discovered a good funnel. I got lots of pictures of bucks, but mostly smaller ones. There was a nice four point; only four because he had already lost his right antler by late October (probably sparing). I had some pictures of this deer during the day, but the picture below is the clearest (but this isn't the buck I'm asking about; continued below...).

MDGC0010.JPG

Late in the season I got this picture of a very nice 10 point. He is a huge bodied deer. His brow tines are short but he has very long G3's. Unfortunately, this is the only picture I have of the bad boy. I think I saw him tending two does about Nov. 9th, but they were running away from me at the time.

MDGC0135.JPG

I have only been hunting whitetails for three years, so I'm asking the collective expertise on IW for an opinion on how big you think this deer might be?

Brian
ArcheryIA44

He's not real massy and has short tines other than his 3's, which I doubt are even 10 inches long. I'd say 140 max but still a great buck! Hopefully he grows!

Fifty bucks says he is not out of the 30's. Longest tine looks to "maybe" 8 inches. I bet he makes a good jump this next fall. Good luck on the public land. Spend about half of my time on it myself and it can be a challenge.

Thanks all! I've been through those woods several times already and my wife found a small forked horn (I've been skunked). That's it.

He might be a ghost, only showing up on this spot during the rut (there are lots of does) while spending the rest of his life in some private reserve!

ArcheryIA44

The bottom buck looks like he may go a touch over 40. his 4's look like they might sneak up and add some inches.

top one, hard to tell...

I'd say hes in the 130's but he definitly looks like a boss in the picture. Great deer for public land. Don't cross your fingers on him still being around next fall. A lot of the public land that I hunt gets pounded during the shotgun seasons.

Top Bottom