Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Ehd has me stumped.

vrod

With the loss of deer in warren county being high from ehd, I'm not sure what to do. With 100 hours of stand time so far, I have seen 0 bucks. But my doe counts are way above last years #'s. I have only found 12 dead deer so far, but equal buck to doe finds. My doe numbers are high enough that I wonder if I should thin them. Mainly because I've seen 0 bucks. My ratio last year was 1-1. This year I'm at 125-0. Not seeing them on trail cams either. Need opinions please

100 hours on stand already! That's crazy! Kind of makes you wonder if the EHD targeted bucks for some reason. Are they more susceptible to contracting it or are the midges more attracted to the bucks than does? Is it similar to flies on bulls? There's usually a lot more flies on the bulls than cows. If you're seeing more does than normal, I'd be thankful. Whacking one or two probably won't hurt you too much, but that's a judgement call for you to make.

I was told the bucks were more apt to get it simply because the fly or "midge" would get into their velvet to transmit.
I also hunt Warren co. and found 27 total on 360 acres. 21 being bucks. out of the 21 only 3 were hard horned. I was getting pics of more bucks and more big bucks than I ever have back in july and early aug. Since Ive gotten 0 buck pics and 0 sightings of bucks. Not to say they stripped velvet and lost the summer patterns, but it really seems worse than that. I think what was in the making for an exeptional year will now be next to pointless for myself and some others. I wouldnt put to much thought into thinning the doe count. things will definatly change come Nov. but for now it looks pretty bleek.

good luck!

antlerfreak said:
I was told the bucks were more apt to get it simply because the fly or "midge" would get into their velvet to transmit.
I also hunt Warren co. and found 27 total on 360 acres. 21 being bucks. out of the 21 only 3 were hard horned. I was getting pics of more bucks and more big bucks than I ever have back in july and early aug. Since Ive gotten 0 buck pics and 0 sightings of bucks. Not to say they stripped velvet and lost the summer patterns, but it really seems worse than that. I think what was in the making for an exeptional year will now be next to pointless for myself and some others. I wouldnt put to much thought into thinning the doe count. things will definatly change come Nov. but for now it looks pretty bleek.

good luck!

Wow crazy amount of deer, thats to bad. Did you get more mature bucks then young bucks? I heard the older deer are more likley to get it.

ehd

since EHD seem's to be in spread out area's and you have a lot of does i would still be hopeful that a good buck would be around, they will travel a good distance looking for does. also taking does will not hurt anything you need to keep the herd in balance all thou a lot of does will produce more fawn's and they will get bred even if you don't see many bucks. i believe nature has a way of balancing it self out and possibly might produce more bucks with this years breeding season. does have to be taken in a higher percent than bucks, less does mean a more aggressive rut and will be more fun to stay in the stand:way:

With the loss of deer in warren county being high from ehd, I'm not sure what to do. With 100 hours of stand time so far, I have seen 0 bucks. But my doe counts are way above last years #'s. I have only found 12 dead deer so far, but equal buck to doe finds. My doe numbers are high enough that I wonder if I should thin them. Mainly because I've seen 0 bucks. My ratio last year was 1-1. This year I'm at 125-0. Not seeing them on trail cams either. Need opinions please

Just stumbled on this... Hunting in Warren County next weekend.
How bad was it? I know of one dead buck on my farm, but I'm sure ill find more!

Top Bottom