Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

EHD Suspected in Deer Deaths

blake

Life Member
From the Iowa DNR website:

EHD Suspected in Deer Deaths

As dry weather stretches through Iowa’s summer, a few suspected cases of Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease (EHD) are being reported.

The number of mortalities reported is low, however there are reports further north in Iowa this year, than would typically be expected. Those deer would have had less exposure to 2012’s outbreak.

Approximately 20 of the dead deer were found near the Linn-Johnson county line. Many were near water, which is an indicator that EHD is present. However, the carcasses were decomposed and valid samples could not be taken. Cases have been reported as far southwest in Iowa as Harrison and Page counties.

Hemorrhagic disease is caused by a virus spread by biting insects…called midges. Warm dry weather favors a buildup of the midge population and increases the likelihood of an outbreak. Once infected, the virus multiplies very quickly within a deer, causing high fever, breakdown of cell walls and dehydration.

Dead and sick animals will often be found near water. Death is caused by internal hemorrhaging and internal fluid buildup. In later stages of the disease, the animals will be lethargic, stumbling, sometimes drooling and unresponsive. Most die within one to four days after the fever begins, though some deer display varying levels of immunity to EHD.

Ive been hearing of a lot of dead deer in Union and Ringgold counties as well the last couple days...We definitely don't need this again!

One of my hit listers, a 5.5yr old stud, was found in pond a few days ago. Hate to see them go that way. What's crazy is that last year it was actually more prevalent in my area than it is this year, and this buck made it through A-OK last year,.....dangit!

Man I hate to read these threads about EHD. Take it for granted that we have never had to deal with it here just north of the border. Sorry to hear it...

Top Bottom