Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

EHD Too close to home

Raidermv

On Monday morning I recieved a call from the wife saying that we had a dead deer at the back door.

picture.php

Called my local conservation officer to get some information and to let them know where I was at. He said that it was getting pretty bad right now and it will be untill we get a frost to kill the midge fly. He said that the deer will have blood coming out of the eyes, nose and mouth if it had EHD. Just hoping for a early frost and that the big boys are not dying from this.
picture.php

I am sorry to read all of the posts about EHD. It would certainly be a real bummer to lose significant numbers to something like this, however, as near as I can tell we have not seen it in our neighborhood.

Since the midge/fly is the known culprit, is it more likely to occur in lowlands near rivers/streams or highlands too? I am just spitballing here...but it seems like when it hits it really hits, BUT other areas appear to be completely normal.

I am just trying to understand this better, but I wondered if it would be more prevalent near water sources that are dried up some with the drought. Does the midge have a better success ratio in a dry year v. a normal or wet year?

I am sorry to read all of the posts about EHD. It would certainly be a real bummer to lose significant numbers to something like this, however, as near as I can tell we have not seen it in our neighborhood.

Since the midge/fly is the known culprit, is it more likely to occur in lowlands near rivers/streams or highlands too? I am just spitballing here...but it seems like when it hits it really hits, BUT other areas appear to be completely normal.

I am just trying to understand this better, but I wondered if it would be more prevalent near water sources that are dried up some with the drought. Does the midge have a better success ratio in a dry year v. a normal or wet year?

From what I've understood the midge fly needs stagnant water where there is nothing to eat it or its eggs thus making moving streams or ponds with fish not being breading grounds for the flies

They hatch from the mud flats and do best in warmer temps. So this warm summer coupled with a whole lot more mud exposed have helped it along. This info was on a NE game and parks weekend radio show last saturday. EHD has been all over the state of NE. North Central NE and the central and eastern platte valleys have taken a big hit. In southeast NE a lot of deer are being found now. Who knows how bad it will end up.

Congrats on the freeze you guys got. Hopefully that will shut it down in your area.

I doubt that a few hours around 30 will do it. It's gonna take a little more than that.

Top Bottom