Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Ehd

I have noticed an almost sudden lack of deer pics of any kind over the last week. I hope they are just not moving much due to the heat.

I also was told yesterday that they are finding them in north Johnson and south Linn. I may know more Saturday when I go out and hear it from the landowner.

I'll have to go out and check our farm, and talk to the neighbor, but I'm in the area, right on the cedar, wouldn't think we'd have much of a problem with ehd, didn't have any dead last year.

I'll have to go out and check our farm, and talk to the neighbor, but I'm in the area, right on the cedar, wouldn't think we'd have much of a problem with ehd, didn't have any dead last year.

It's here. I'm on the johnson/linn co line (literally) and the Cedar is a mile away.

The smell was terrible and the buzzards and coyotes would not hardly touch the carcass's.

Same thing in SE Iowa last year....terrible stink during deer season but hoped it was only a few, so many dead the predators could not eat them all, we found many full skeleton's in Feb/March, almost preserved in time. You don't realize how bad the problem is until shed hunting without snow- no one wants to walk around in their timber/creek bottoms during deer season for fear of spooking deer (that are already dead). If EHD returns in the next month will full force, this could be the end for several years in our area.

300! Where? Heard one famous weather guy say Iowa usually has a bad drought about every 20 yrs. This is the 3rd year for my area! Kinda like the 300 yr floods we had two years in a row! Weather has gone WACKO!!

It doesn't matter if your on a river or have water around. Last year I found dozens of dead deer along the Missouri river. Plenty of fresh flowing water and it didn't matter one bit. If you have dry mud where the midge flies hatch, you'll have the EHD. I'm not sure why but the midges hatch on drought years. I guess you guys should pray for an early frost.

Top Bottom