Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

EHD

Corresponding today with neighbors from around our farm...it isn't sounding good for us this season. Very few deer, does and bucks, are showing on cameras. If you would have asked any of us in, say June, we would have all told you that we needed to really ramp up the doe shooting this year. Now...not so much...we may not target any. We'll just have to see what is still living as we begin hunting ourselves...but it looks like a very lean year in our area.

FWIW, we have never really seen, or smelled as the case may be, big numbers of dead ones in the years past where EHD hit other southern Iowa areas so hard. I guess this year is "our turn"...harrumph.
How many have you found dead yourself?

That doesn’t sound good for some of you. I don’t know what’s worse, EHD or CWD? DNR killed 57 deer on neighboring property and 108 within 1.5 miles of my dads. Last January-April. I know how some of you feel about slim pickings, not wanting to shoot a doe and having no mature bucks to target. Just plan sucks.

How many have you found dead yourself?
Four observed dead on our place on 9/15, haven't been back since. Smelled others, just didn't climb off of the tractor to go sniff them out as we were pressed on time and I was trying to get acres drilled before dark. Based on seeing and smelling, I would say that there were at least 8-10 dead on our place that day, but there is A LOT of timber that we didn't go looking through. Since neighbors have been finding them in numbers and the only older buck any of us have gotten pictures of in the last month is an old, old warrior, we think is 8 years old, I can only assume that there are several more to find.

That doesn’t sound good for some of you. I don’t know what’s worse, EHD or CWD? DNR killed 57 deer on neighboring property and 108 within 1.5 miles of my dads. Last January-April. I know how some of you feel about slim pickings, not wanting to shoot a doe and having no mature bucks to target. Just plan sucks.

Same in MO..

Leading cause of death outside of the season, in order:

- 1) MDC
- 2) CWD
- 3) EHD

We could cure the first one real quick...

Have found a couple fawns while harvesting that are very recent deaths. Neighbor showed me a picture of one of my top target bucks found a few days ago and dnr says ehd. I just hope it didn't wipe out a bunch more.

Any reports in Southern or SE Warren county? I haven't found any but we aren't getting many bucks in general on camera unlike previous years and none are older.

Any reports in Southern or SE Warren county? I haven't found any but we aren't getting many bucks in general on camera unlike previous years and none are older.
Don’t feel like you’re the only one. I haven’t had a mature buck on camera since late September! I fricken hate EHD

I have reports here in Southern Washington county its bad.
I was told by someone living close to skunk river they are around 300 supposedly found dead
Buddy found 14 in an 80 acre plot
I have just only found 2 but cameras went silent

Deer can take months to finally succumb to EHD.

Big misconception that "its over" after a hard frost. Thst only kills the midges. You still have a bunch of infected deer running around fighting for their lives.

In 2019, we kept finding new deaths right up till spring.

Deer can take months to finally succumb to EHD.

Big misconception that "its over" after a hard frost. Thst only kills the midges. You still have a bunch of infected deer running around fighting for their lives.

In 2019, we kept finding new deaths right up till spring.
This is spot on - the past few years we've noticed a number of deer we pass that never show back up. Which for us is not normal, if a buck has been on cam for three years and we let him go, he's confirmed alive in the spring and then disappears going into year four. I got to assume he had EHD and took him a while to die. This is happening more and more and did not use to happen.

This is spot on - the past few years we've noticed a number of deer we pass that never show back up. Which for us is not normal, if a buck has been on cam for three years and we let him go, he's confirmed alive in the spring and then disappears going into year four. I got to assume he had EHD and took him a while to die. This is happening more and more and did not use to happen.
F8D0E756-4463-4DC0-B16D-BE177E7AA658.jpeg
This was Monday found by our tenant checking cows

It has really messed with the age structure of bucks in my area. Not seeing as many nice bucks as 3-4 years ago ! A big bummer !

Top Bottom