Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

EHD

Se iowa is worst I’ve heard of. Up to like iowa city region.
Sc got it some. Sw & western iowa- some but not awful.
Parts of Marion & Monroe seem bad while others seem not horrible.

Reactions: HWC
Se iowa is worst I’ve heard of. Up to like iowa city region.
Sc got it some. Sw & western iowa- some but not awful.
Parts of Marion & Monroe seem bad while others seem not horrible.
It’s hitting hard in SC Iowa Monroe county any area with lots of ponds lots of mud bank showing because of drought

We found 11 dead in Davis county during archery season. Not even trying. I’m scared what I will find after season. My top 4 bucks on property have vanished.
We found 11 dead in Davis county during archery season. Not even trying. I’m scared what I will find after season. My top 4 bucks on property have vanished.
I know what your talking about I haven’t seen any of the good bucks that were around earlier. My neighbor found 18 dead just in his fields that only about 40% of his farm.

Hunted South of Iowa City and deer numbers were really good. Didn't come across any dead deer. Also hunted some in Monroe county without finding any dead. However a guy in our group from Davis County said a farmer friend of his found dozens of dead deer. I've also heard some in Monroe found a bunch.

Last edited:
Would any of the Davis County hunters be willing to be more specific with their locations? I ask because our farm got hammered by EHD this year and our observations and experiences match the dismal results that you are referencing too. Just trying to develop more of a sense as to how far reaching this EHD outbreak was. We are south of Selma, so extreme NE corner of the county. TIA.

As late as early August we, including several neighbors, we were intending to hit the does HARD this year. After the EHD wave I am not sure that any of us shot any does then, as we could all clearly see that the population was way down suddenly.

Would any of the Davis County hunters be willing to be more specific with their locations? I ask because our farm got hammered by EHD this year and our observations and experiences match the dismal results that you are referencing too. Just trying to develop more of a sense as to how far reaching this EHD outbreak was. We are south of Selma, so extreme NE corner of the county. TIA.

As late as early August we, including several neighbors, we were intending to hit the does HARD this year. After the EHD wave I am not sure that any of us shot any does then, as we could all clearly see that the population was way down suddenly.
I had never personally met the guy and won't be there most likely next weekend but will see if my brother or a mutual friend can find out.

As late as early August we, including several neighbors, we were intending to hit the does HARD this year. After the EHD wave I am not sure that any of us shot any does then, as we could all clearly see that the population was way down suddenlyju of Drakesville.

North of Drakesville. Talked to local farmer who does food plots for a couple hunters and they also confirm the same thing. Numbers down in the area and so far 19 total on “our block” found dead.

I didn't hunt in Southern Iowa besides the opening Saturday. My brother said the Davis County crew didn't come back the second weekend so he wasn't able to ask them. Neither of us knew their names or numbers.

98e70fd21c6f1e4118d7439c201274ff.jpg

Smelled him early November but couldn’t see into the honeysuckle thicket. Spotted him yesterday. Maybe EHD? Between Iowa City and Solon. Found a dead yearling buck also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I find what I think is an EHD kill, they are usually early season and not polished like that one appears. Either way it is unfortunate, but glad you found him.

When I find what I think is an EHD kill, they are usually early season and not polished like that one appears. Either way it is unfortunate, but glad you found him.

In 2019 when my area got hit hard I found fresh dead deer all the way till spring.

I hit a couple of properties yesterday. Picked 4 ticks off me after the first walk. They were super small ticks, too. Mild temps aren’t helping keeping the bugs at bay.

In 2019 when my area got hit hard I found fresh dead deer all the way till spring.
This. ^^ Based on pretty good trail cam data, we had bucks "disappearing" up until at least late October. I too have heard that the bucks antlers will not be polished if they die from EHD, due to timing really, but I am confident that this is not an "always" type of statement.

Several of "our" bucks would have had at least a month to rub and polish prior to going night night.

Top Bottom