Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Eight bucks

dbltree

Super Moderator
Seems like corn has been +/- 2 bucks most of my life so when it hit 4 dollars I at least took notice.

Corn Futures

Now with the massive flooding we're looking at 8 bucks a bushel. Might be good for those with a good crop but I think our economy overall is going to take a big hit in everything from food to fuel prices.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Estimates are that 5 million acres across the Midwest have been ruined and will not produce a crop this year. </div></div>

I also wonder how much CRP will be pulled out or emergency measures taken and how land prices will be affected. Paying a farmer to "leave a few acres standing" this fall would seem out of the question now, although it might be possible to rent some flooded out ground to plant some brassicas or cereal grains on this fall.

Flooded out crop ground left barren this year could change some deer movement and patterns for some of us which may be a plus in some cases.

One thing I know for certain...I'm glad I'm not buying grain for a couple 4-H steers this summer... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbltree</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

One thing I know for certain...I'm glad I'm not buying grain for a couple 4-H steers this summer... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif </div></div>

Ouch Ouch Ouch...dang Paul, punching below the belt aren't ya! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghost</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbltree</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

One thing I know for certain...I'm glad I'm not buying grain for a couple 4-H steers this summer... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif </div></div>

Ouch Ouch Ouch...dang Paul, punching below the belt aren't ya! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

</div></div>

The famous "Black Angus Ghost Burgers" just hit a market high! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Actually, all CRP has been released for hay and grazing, after hatch. So you will probably see alot of cattle standing around on CRP grass later this summer, which brings up something else.

So many acres of hay went out of production this year do to alot of different variables.

1) Last year we had a hard freeze, in turn really hurt the alfalfa and it has never really rebounded back from that. With the corn market the way it is, the hay went out of production and into corn fields, which are not doing the best.

2) Cattle production is actually down. Corn prices and hay prices have had the "smaller" guy give up alot of the cattle herds and row crop pastures and hay fields, which in turn has made hay a shortage crop in this part of the state.

You will see a great change in things in the year to come. If grain price does not hold up the way it is now, it will be a loose, loose situation for everyone. With the high price of fuel, it effects everyone. But in turn, if the grain price doesn't stay up, farmers are going to have a tuff time getting a crop in with the price of inputs and cash rent that is going on right now. You can look at fall anhydrus, it is currently at 1050 dollars a ton. Same with P&K, it has more than doubled since last year. Same with chemical and seed, both have gone up dramaticaly.

Dad sold five thousand bushels of corn a few months for $4.50. That's about a $15,000 hit right now. He's waiting to see what input for next year is before he sells anymore. He's trying to prepay as soon as possible before it goes up anymore. With all the crops that are not in and the stuff that's underwater I hope everyone has their insurance paid up. What really scares me is if the corn and bean prices drop and farmers start going under, What are the banks going to repossess? A lot of the big farmers rent there ground and lease all of the equipment. The banks could loose a lot of money and we will all feel that. I really don't see it going down anytime soon but it could happen. As far as CRP, I think we can kiss alot of that goodbye. They want as much in crop as possible and aren't going to even come close to competeing with rent prices. Everything around us is coming out including my dads. With all the rain added to it I hate to see what the pheasant population is going to look like.

I heard 800,000 acres or something like that of CRP came out this year. Roughly the size of one county. That is just nuts!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">all CRP has been released for hay and grazing </div></div>

That is something to take note of if one needs some CRP mowed or a clover/alflafa foodplot on CRP ground.

You have to "buy it back" but there are some advantages.

"grass fed" beef might be more common then "corn fed" the way things are going...

I talked to a neighbor last night and he thinks he can get two or three big round bales off of my clover plot. I'm glad to see it go to good use, plus I don't have to mow it./forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif Wait a minute.... I love mowing. What have I done??? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I'd hate to see what $8.00 corn does to land prices around my neck of the woods. With all the developement that goes on land prices are already sky-high. A farm down the road sold a few months ago for $4700/acre and it was averaging just over 100 bu/acre in corn. The guy- who was just some richy rich in town- split it up and is selling it by the 80 acre chunk for $5300/acre. Now you might be able to swing that but what happens if the economy rebounds in the future and corn drops back down to 2 or 3 dollars???

For a young guy like me, it's starting to look like an impossible dream. Either that or a damn expensive and risky one.

News that I heard today, they are going to make a decision tommorrow or Monday on rather or not to release all CRP this year to row cropping (optional to landowner or farmer). Reasoning behind this is so many acres lost to flooding and wet weather this year, that they are thinking of allowing people to kill out the CRP and farm it. They still had alot of discusion with environmental groups such as Serria club and Pheasants forever.

Personally, I think this would be a dumb idea. This time of year, you are not going to get a crop worth a damn off of crp.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Personally, I think this would be a dumb idea. This time of year, you are not going to get a crop worth a damn off of CRP. </div></div>

Terrible idea!!! We have enough erosion without sending our HEL down the Big Muddy too! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Glad I never bought a corn burner, might be cheaper to burn rolls of $20's! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I just wanted to add that if you wish to "hay" your CRP (or hay a clover/alflafa plot on CRP ground) all you have to do this year is pay a $75 fee and no "rental" will have to be paid back.

Can't mow/bale until after August 15th but that can also have advantages if you would like to then spray/kill some brome to frost seed native grasses this next winter.

I see that even poor grass hay in regular small bales is 4 to 5 bucks a bale!! Gieesh! I remember selling top quality alfalfa hay for 30 cents a bale!!

That was a day or two ago I reckon.... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I see that even poor grass hay in regular small bales is 4 to 5 bucks a bale </div></div>

Our gas is more, booze is more, pretty much everyting costs more...but that right there is where a guy makes a little bit back. I've never paid more than a deuce for a 80lb high quality second cut alfalfa square.

Top Bottom