Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Elevated blinds

Deere1

Anyone know the rules on elevated blinds I read where blinds on ground need 144" of orange visible from all sides but does that apply for blinds off the ground ? Mine is little over 8' up.

I am looking forward to hearing a solid response to this as well. I don't like being told I have to put orange on 12' elevated blinds on my own land BUT suppose if they tell me I have to wear orange, whatever.
In summer time - I took some orange spray paint & just sprayed each side just to be safe. Be nice if I didn't need to worry about it though.

I believe the Iowa law calls for 1 square foot of orange visibe from all sides on any artificial blind used during shotgun seasons, elevated or not. "Natural" blinds ( I assume brush, cornstalks or hay bales etc.) do not need orange. Blinds occupied during bow or muzzie season do not need orange either if I read the rules correctly.

I believe the Iowa law calls for 1 square foot of orange visibe from all sides on any artificial blind used during shotgun seasons, elevated or not. "Natural" blinds ( I assume brush, cornstalks or hay bales etc.) do not need orange. Blinds occupied during bow or muzzie season do not need orange either if I read the rules correctly.

This is the impression I was under as well.

HorseDoctor said:

Same here.

I spoke with our local CO about this two years ago and we did not need orange on our elevated blonds then.....we spoke again this year and now we need to have it, I am done guessing and am just going to put it on there but if they don't see our blinds they dang well and going to see 144 square inches of orange either.

Page 23 of the deer regs.

"Blaze Orange Required
To hunt deer with a firearm in any season you must
wear one of the following articles of external, visible,
solid blaze orange clothing: vest, jacket, coat,
sweatshirt, sweater, shirt or coveralls. An orange hat
alone is not sufficient. No person shall use a blind for
hunting deer during the regular shotgun deer seasons
unless such blind exhibits a solid blaze orange marking
with a minimum of 144 square inches visible in
all directions.

A blind is defined as a place of concealment constructed,