Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Elk hunting pack

Alright,
Trying to plan and prepare for an elk hunt in Co this fall. Looking for a pack. Holy moly these things are expensive!!!! Any one have recommendations? Looking for some type of frame pack to haul meat out if indeed we get lucky.

I've got a badlands 4500 and it's pretty good. When we went out to Idaho last year, one of the guys had a new Tenzing. I don't remember the number, but I thought it was better than what I had. They make some really nice stuff.

Tenzing and Eberlestock are among the most popular packs out there for western hunting. Will you be packing in or looking for more along the lines of a "daypack" type of pack (2,000-3,000 ci)? There's a difference, depending on what you're looking for. Most of what I do is day hunting from camp (or home) out here and I have a Black's Creek Canadian (discontinued). It has 2,500 ci of "normal storage" and then has a separate 1500 ci meat compartment that unzips when you need it to get meat out on the first trip back. I helped a friend pack an elk out last September and it was perfect for throwing a quarter in and going. I know guys out here who have used that pack to haul out a complete Coue's whitetail in one trip (just under 100 lbs, dressed and with cape). You probably will end up spending quite a bit of money, but the comfort and durability will be worth it.

Mystery Ranch is another good pack to look at.

Join one of the western forums like

http://www.rokslide.com/

Those boys are serious pack hunters. If you have not looked at brands like Kifaru and KUIU get ready for some real sticker shock! AZHunter mentioned some other well respected names. Look for the articles about selecting a pack.

If the pack is JUST for hauling meat I'd just look for a good metal frame to just strap game bags too.

I have a badlands 2200 that I use as a day pack and it has the ability to haul a bag of meat out on the first trip. I think BL are good, durable packs but definitely not the best. It works for me for 1-2 weeks a year.

I guess what i am looking for would be a day pack. We will be hunting from a base camp so basically I will need a pack for my daily gear and packing out meat. It seams like every time I need to buy something I have a hard time picking out the right product. Hindsight is 2020. I have never been on this type of hunt so don't know what to expect out of a pack. I am sure that when I get out there and experience this kind of hunt, then I will know what I should have been shopping for.
Thanks for the input!

If you go with Tenzing, Eberlestock, Kifaru, or KUIU, you won't be disappionted. I know when its time to replace my Black's Creek, I'll be getting an Eberlestock "Just One" (J107, I think). The more I'm around my buddy with his, the more I realize that's what I want. He packed out his son's entire mule deer (boned out, including cape) in one trip this past December. You are correct in that hindsight is 20/20, but you'll have much less hindsight with either of the above. They will all do exactly what you want and be comfortable under load.

I've never been on an elk hunt but regarding packs you really can't go wrong with Badlands. Their warranty is top notch. I have a 2200 frame pack that that I pack my stand and sticks and in and out on...also use it to carry my blind when turkey hunting. I've had the pack for four years now, and its taken lots of abuse. A few spots on it gave out last year and I shut one of the buckles in the tailgate of my truck which obviously broke it. Sent it into Badlands and the pack came back a couple of weeks later looking brand new. I don't know how they did it but they did. I know of guys on here that have had their 2200s for a lot longer than I have and they're still going strong.

If I ever did go on an elk hunt I'd either just roll with my 2200 or get one of their packs that has more capacity.

I've never been on an elk hunt but regarding packs you really can't go wrong with Badlands. Their warranty is top notch. I have a 2200 frame pack that that I pack my stand and sticks and in and out on...also use it to carry my blind when turkey hunting. I've had the pack for four years now, and its taken lots of abuse. A few spots on it gave out last year and I shut one of the buckles in the tailgate of my truck which obviously broke it. Sent it into Badlands and the pack came back a couple of weeks later looking brand new. I don't know how they did it but they did. I know of guys on here that have had their 2200s for a lot longer than I have and they're still going strong.

If I ever did go on an elk hunt I'd either just roll with my 2200 or get one of their packs that has more capacity.

A Badlands will work, but I suspect it will be that hindsight you were talking about. Not trying to knock Badlands at all or start a "which is better" discussion. They are solid packs and have a great warranty. On the flip side, I know several guys out here who jumped on the BL bandwagon a few years ago (I almost did after checking out a buddy's) and quickly traded them or sold them after an elk hunt or two. I've spoken to a few buddies here and in Iowa and western hunting and eastern hunting are completely different, especially in the gear you carry and how you carry it. I took my Black's Creek back to Iowa a couple of years ago and quickly realized it was not the best pack for tree stand hunting in Iowa. A Badlands far outperforms my BC pack. When packing out elk quarters, especially from a bull, you want them as close to your center of gravity as possible. A rear quarter from a cow elk will weigh 60-70 lbs with the bone in; even heavier on a bull. You don't want that strapped on to the back of your Badlands with everything else tucked inside it.

If you have a Badlands 2200, another option, as mentioned earlier, is to just get a good frame pack. You can strap your BL on it and then have the pack frame to carry out quarters or meat. I know a handful of guys who have done this to avoid spending the $$ on a new Eberlestock or other aforementioned brand.

Hunting from a base camp like you say a day pack is what you want. This is how we hunt when we head out west too. I have seen guys do it with a large hip or fanny pack but personally I do not feel they have enough space. When I go out I have more in my pack then you would think you would need hunting from a base camp but I am prepared to spend the night if need be, while at the same time keeping thing reasonable and as light as possible.

I would not look at anything that is not hydration bladder compatible. Staying hydrated at elevation is critical. Also, I find I feel better and hike better being able to keep my mouth from drying out.

As I said I have a Bad Lands 2200 and I agree with AZ that it is not the best, not even close, but it is serviceable. You can find reviews of them on line. You will also see they retail for around $260.00. I got mine from http://www.camofire.com/ for $150.00. Thats a large part of why I have it. I have seen them and other packs on there lately. Like I said it does not get used that often so I deal with it. All I can really say I don't like about it is at almost 6 pounds it is comparably heavy on it's own. When it comes to packs and gear less # = more $. Also, it is not really made to adjust to my tall, thin build. The first day or two that I wear it I find it a little uncomfortable so I get that out of the way while working out here.

Sounds to me like you need 2 packs. One to hunt in and carry all of your hunting stuff and what is needed to dress out the elk.Then one just for packing.When it comes to packing heavy loads nothing beats an external frame pack. Our system for elk hunting is a mid size pack to hunt quietly in. Then if we get one we pack all our hunting stuff to the truck get the frame packs and return to pack out. On Alaska or other hunts in the far north we hunt in the frame packs all the time. A frame pack doesn't need to be fancy look on Craig's list lots available used in areas with a lot of backpacking. Good luck on your hunt

Kifaru. They are well worth the money. They will hold up to anything that you throw at them. They will hold there value in resale if you want to get rid of it late on.

So I checked out the eberlestock j107 that AZ talked about. Man, thats a pretty nice pack. I really like the rifle holding ability since i will be going on a rifle hunt. Pretty hefty price tag. However I have inlaws that are pretty big gift givers. So with my birthday coming up in march I just happened to show the web sight to my wife hoping that she might accidentally mention it to them. Heck its worth a shot!!!! Lol

I don't know where you are located but Sportsmans Warehouse carries Eberlestock packs. I don't know if the have that one in stock though, if you want to look at them in person. Also Archery Talk has about all packs that have been mentioned in the classifieds from time to time.

Holy cow it worked!! I hinted to my wife what pack I was looking at and my inlaws suprised me with an early birthday present. I got the eberlestock j107. Looks like an awesome pack, i guess i will know after our elk hunt in oct. It took me about an hour just to figure out what all it had once i got my hands on it. My wife and daughter looked at me like I was a dork when they opened the garage door last night and I was standing there wearing a hunting pack. Pretty excited!! Thanks for the input AZ!!

Holy cow it worked!! I hinted to my wife what pack I was looking at and my inlaws suprised me with an early birthday present. I got the eberlestock j107. Looks like an awesome pack, i guess i will know after our elk hunt in oct. It took me about an hour just to figure out what all it had once i got my hands on it. My wife and daughter looked at me like I was a dork when they opened the garage door last night and I was standing there wearing a hunting pack. Pretty excited!! Thanks for the input AZ!!

Glad it worked out for you. You won't go wrong with that pack, that's for sure and I highly doubt you will regret getting it! :D

Top Bottom