Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Elk Hunting

Rackmup65

Went to Colorado the last two years with so-so results. Alot of mulies but very few elk and alot of pressure.

Thinking about a spike camp next year if I can find 1 or 2 people who would like to go. Any thoughts or experiences to share about becoming a successful Wapati hunter???

I have been on a number of elk hunts in Wyoming and Montana. Two of these hunts were walk in and set up a spike camp. A lot of hard work, and difficult to get back in where the elk were. I have also hunted a number of times from horse back from spike camps 25-45 miles from the nearest trailhead. I would recommend horseback. If you don’t have your own horses, I would suggest hiring an outfitter to pack you in and then pack you out. Good Luck!

Elk hunting is some of the toughest hunting one can do in the lower 48. My brother lives in elk country and does very well, but it never helped me much
smirk.gif

Getting up at 3 a.m. and hiking for miles....just in time to catch them sneaking back into cover while it's still dark... is very frustrating
crazy.gif

The best hunting I ever had was from tree stands which we packed in on horses.

The most fun I ever had...was watching my cousin get on a mustang he bought at auction! Whooowheee....that horse could do some serious bucking every morning! I wished I could have stopped laughing long enough to video those morning escapades!
grin.gif

He would hobble that horse front and back and do everything but hog tie him...and he still would get loose in the middle of the night...sounded like a three ring circus with that horse hopping around like a 1000# jack rabbit and my cousin stumbling around in the dark a cussin a blue streak!
grin.gif
grin.gif

Top Bottom